What's new

Zelda Master Quest and the IPS Patch

wessleym

I just patched my [f1] Master Quest to the [E] Master Quest using the IPS patch. It runs and everything, but I have some questions:
What's the point of patching the game? The patch doesn't fix in-game functionality does it?
Secondly, the patch causes my frame rate to drop from a fixed 60 to a fixed 50. I'm guessing this is a PAL to NTSC situation, but why would a person want that to happen?
Thanks!

Smiff

Emutalk Member
the audio will only be smooth at one speed. i can't say which is right for this game because all the hacking and weirdness for gamecube, but enable sync game to audio and see what the speed is.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
then the patch has fixed it (correctly). if you want 60, get the (U) region ROM - then you will have 60 AND smooth sound.
edit: this is wrong, see below! i think you were checking the [!] ROM, i meant the F1.

i don't think with Zelda it matters, with proper conversion, afaik the video framerate and res is the same on both? not sure about that, would be interesting to check e.g, with Fraps or ATI Tray Tools..

Last edited:
OP
W

wessleym

Okay, so the difference between the [f1] and [E] versions is only a region change? Is that the purpose of the IPS patch?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Gamecube runs the game at 60 vis/s without checking the region of the game (using a N64 emulator designed by Nintendo itself). The problem is that N64 (and the emulators for N64) check the region of the game and they change the vis/s to 50 when they detect that it's a PAL (Europian) game.
The group that originaly extracted the game from the Gamecube disk changed the region and the internal name of the game in order to adjust the vis/s to 60 and avoid saving conflicts between the original Zelda and Master Quest (because Master Quest was developted to run at 60vis/s and has the same internal name as the original Zelda).

The patch was created in order to change the "fixed" file into its original state (as it is on the Gamecube disk).

OP
W

wessleym

Wow, thanks, PsyMan. So if I want 60 frames per second, I just need to use the [f1] version?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah, but no. im saying normally the hacked ver of a game will sound bad.

BUT (if PsyMan is right as he probably is) this game is a special case, because if it was meant to run at 60, you're ok running the F1 at 60, and in fact you should not fix it to [!] to run at 50 (!).

this makes this game an exception to the rule.

hrm confusing.
this is relevant to the next rdb ill have to check this..

edit: yep confirmed i think. there is now :
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (E) (GC Version) [!]
which does run correctly at 50.
so if anyone wants a PAL/50 rom, use this one, do NOT fix the (E) [F1] ROM.
i'll check this properly tomorrow if i get a chance.

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
AFAIK it actually sounds bad (crackles) on the N64 too. But the sound pitch is not right in the [!] version that runs at 50 vis/s. Confusing indeed...

I'll check the vis/s on MQ (both the [!] and the (f1) versions) and the original (E) and (U) OOT versions and I'll post the fps in this thread Smiff :)

Edit: You probably won't believe it but here it goes...

OOT (E) [!]: Max FPS: 50 Ingame FPS: 16-17
OOT (U) [!]: Max FPS: 60 Ingame FPS: 20
OOT MQ (E) [!]: Max FPS: 50 Ingame FPS: 16-17
OOT MQ (E) [f1]: Max FPS: 60 Ingame FPS: 20

The weird thing is that OOT MQ (E) [!] has the same speed as OOT (E) [!] and OOT MQ (E) [f1] has the same speed as OOT (U) [!].
If you run both the OOT (E) [!] and OOT (U) [!] (the original OOT versions, not the Master Quest versions) on the same time you'll notice that the whole gameplay will be faster on the (U) version (the intro will be faster and finish sooner, Link walks faster etc.)...

I also noticed that the ending sequence of OOT Master Quest (E) [f1] has syncronization problems on every emulator. There might be a slight possibility that the game was meant to run at 50 vis/s after all. The only way to find out is to check if the (E) [!] has these syncronization problems too...

Last edited:
OP
W

wessleym

Wait a second, there's a (U) [f1] version of the game? I couldn't find that for anything! According to GoodN64, I have this:
----------
You have 2 of 2614 known Nintendo 64 ROMS (V2.02a)

Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (E) [!]
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (E) [f1] (NTSC)
----------

I have an (E) [!] and (E) [f1]. So, PsyMan or anyone else, does a (U) [f1] version really exist?

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
GoodN64 is so out of date here its useless for this.

for Master Quest there is AFAIK:

//[1D4136F3-AF63EEA9-C:45] //New entry in RDB 1.5.1
//Good Name=Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (E) [f1] (NTSC)
//Internal Name=ZELDA MASTER QUEST

[1D4136F3-AF63EEA9-C:50] //New entry in RDB 1.6
Good Name=Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (E) (GC Version)
Internal Name=THE LEGEND OF ZELDA

//[27A3831D-B505A533-C:45] //New entry in RDB 1.6
//Good Name=Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (E) [f2]
//Internal Name=ZELDA MASTER QUEST
//no idea how this ROM is fixed anyone know?!*

[F034001A-AE47ED06-C:45] //New entry in RDB 1.6x BETA13
Good Name=Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (U) (GC Version)

[F43B45BA-2F0E9B6F-C:4A] //New entry in RDB 1.6x BETA13
Good Name=Zelda no Densetsu - Toki no Ocarina GC Ura (J) (GC Version)

those last two may be very hard to find.
they may not be final Good Names either. look at the CRCs.

* if anyone can help with these points that would be nice.

alright so thats 5 Master Quest ROMs known.. hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Ooops... I meant (E) [f1]. I fixed the typo now.
AFAIK there isn't a (U) or a (J) version of the game... I believe that the OOT and OOT MQ ROMs are the same for both the (U) and the (E) releases of the Wind Waker bonus disk for Gamecube. I have no clue about the (J) release though...

Smiff, for some reason the (E) [f1] and (E) [!] versions of MQ do not work on a real N64 (bad checksum?). The (E) [f2] version was created for that reason (it works on a real N64).

Smiff

Emutalk Member
just to make things super confusing,
the F1 is going to become "h1C" (means: cartname hack)
and the F2 is going to become "F1 (NTSC)"..
i've just heard indirectly from Cowering.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
here's the new list of Master Quest ROMs (again, do not use GoodN64 here the current public ver is no good):

[1D4136F3-AF63EEA9-C:45] //New entry in RDB 1.5.1, name changed in 1.6x BETA13
Good Name=Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (E) [h1C]
Internal Name=ZELDA MASTER QUEST

Good Name=Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (E) (GC Version)

[27A3831D-B505A533-C:45] //New entry in RDB 1.6, name changed in 1.6x BETA13
Good Name=Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (E) [f1]

[F034001A-AE47ED06-C:45] //New entry in RDB 1.6x BETA13
Good Name=Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (U) (GC Version)

[F43B45BA-2F0E9B6F-C:4A] //New entry in RDB 1.6x BETA13
Good Name=Zelda no Densetsu - Toki no Ocarina GC Ura (J) (GC Version)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
sorry thats wrong aswell, cowering must have got something wrong.. cos if

[1D4136F3-AF63EEA9-C:45] //New entry in RDB 1.5.1, name changed in 1.6x BETA13
Good Name=Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (E) [h1C]

cos if the first just was a cartname hack of the second, theyd both sync at the same speed, and they dont.

so we're waiting for clarification on this. sorry.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Im also equally confused because as far as i understand, the Master Quest in Europe was a PAL60 i know this cause my wife wanted it but our TV didnt support it :p Soo my question is why do we have a E that runs at PAL50.

Last edited: