What's new

Zelda 64 Emulator settings

pointchiz

Are there any optimum settings for PJ 1.4 while playing zelda 64? The game crashes sometimes with an unhandled error or just freezes.

Theres a particular setting that i'm confused with. In options/settings/options theres a setting called "self-mod code method". I'm still experimenting with this though, since i used "protect memory" all this time, it can run for hours without crashing, yet, on a different day it'll just decide to crash or freeze.
I've set this to "none" for now, but if any of you have particular settings for PJ 1.4 that you use for MOST of your games, please share :)

I'm running winxp pro (v2002)
amd 800
geforce2 gts
384 mb
asus a7v

Be nice :)

gokuss4

Meh...
hey i like yur sig though sorry to get off topic but i just had to post that :D :p but hmm wait for smiff or some other expert to help you on this one :p

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well...
Usually the self-mode code is set to "Check Memory & Cache" or "Change Memory & Cache". This depends on the game what is best to use. Usually, use the two above unless the rdb states otherwise (which I don't think it does). Setting this to "none" is generally not a good idea, since most games use some kind of self-mode code. The only game that I know that doesn't use one is Mario64. "Protect memory" is the slowest but most secure method. This can prevent some games from crashing at certain parts. This has been documented to be used in zelda64 at certain parts when it usually crashes. I'm not sure about these, since it has never crashed for me.
To make myself short,
don't experiment with this. Use "Check memory & cache" usually. You can also try "Change memory & cache". If you have a fast computer, you can set this to Protect memory. But note that some games do not work with this.

Hope this helps.

OP
P

pointchiz

Thanks for the input. Yea i had a feeling "protect memory" was the safest option to choose and since i check "sync game to audio" my fps is locked at 50 which is more that playable. Although im sure most of you leave it unchecked to make it run faster, but the sound skips and i find that annoying.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well,
actually, I do put it on, 'cuz it helps to remove crackling and other stuff in the sound. It may also help to sync the sound with the game, so that the sound won't go before the graphics or vice versa.
Yet, they say that sync sound is bad, I dunno why, though. It's up to you, though. The problem is, that if u have sync sound on and disables frame limit, it still will only go ~65 VI/s, unless u disable it.
And lastly, 50 VI/s is not full speed. At least not on NTSC roms. But it is on PAL-roms. That sound like u have a computer that can't run the emulation in full speed :(