• No

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters

Trotterwatch

It's a highly dangerous and noxious in large quantities, this could easily kill.

(that good enough for you), lol

Last edited:

zorbid

Dihydrogen monoxide is an under rated problem. When you know the amount of that shit you drink every year... Scary. :eek:

H=O=H is THE danger for the 10 next years.

mesman00

What's that...?
hahaha, now this is a funny joke, i'm goin to tell it to my chem professor tonight in class!

Last edited:

Tk64

The Other Village Idiot
zorbid said:

H=O=H is THE danger for the 10 next years.

It's not H-O-H - it's actually:
Code:
    O
  /   \
H      H

... the bonds are not straight but angled (109 degree angle I believe).

OP
The Khan Artist

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Nice site, Eagle. I recommend everybody go there for more information about this highyl deadly chemical.

Trotterwatch, delete that blasphemy right now!

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yup, its water with improper chemistry syntax. Its been a few years but if memory serves me its actually called dihydroxide, or am I wrong and thats something totaly different? Argh, Its been 3 years and I never like chemistry.

blizz

none of them are strictly right or wrong, aslong as it's clear what the substance is (usually by a diagram) then whatever you call it is what's used in the end, despite the naming system (which is consistently ignored by my lecturers ;) )

for example ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid is called EDTA, and is commonly called EDTA

Eagle

aka Alshain
blizz said:
none of them are strictly right or wrong, aslong as it's clear what the substance is (usually by a diagram) then whatever you call it is what's used in the end, despite the naming system (which is consistently ignored by my lecturers ;) )

What I was getting at is that there is a wrong way and a right way to write it. For example

1-ethyl 2-methyl dioxide
or
2-methyl 1-ethyl dioxide

One is correct the other is wrong. I remember taking tests purely on identifing compunds in the correct order.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Eagle said:

What I was getting at is that there is a wrong way and a right way to write it. For example

1-ethyl 2-methyl dioxide
or
2-methyl 1-ethyl dioxide

One is correct the other is wrong. I remember taking tests purely on identifing compunds in the correct order.

Hmmm, if I actually still remembered the way that these atoms connect, I could`ve told you which one of them is right. But basically, you`re suppose to say it by the order in which they are connected together (?).

Eagle

aka Alshain
DuDe_ said:

Hmmm, if I actually still remembered the way that these atoms connect, I could`ve told you which one of them is right. But basically, you`re suppose to say it by the order in which they are connected together (?).

Yes but in the case of carbon chains like this, you have to find the longest carbon chain first, then start from there, then you order it by which is closer to the outer carbons. For example, the following are the same compund ( I didn't put in the electrons, but you get the idea)

Ya know I never thought I'd ever use chemistry with my major, hehe.

On this example (bottom), youd start naming from the right because the intersection is only two carbons from the end of the chain, where as the left there are three carbons from the end of the chain to the nearest intersection.

blizz

yeah basically longest chain rules then start with the first side arm which is the shortest distance from the first carbon in the chain

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Eagle said:

Yes but in the case of carbon chains like this, you have to find the longest carbon chain first, then start from there, then you order it by which is closer to the outer carbons. For example, the following are the same compund ( I didn't put in the electrons, but you get the idea)

Ya know I never thought I'd ever use chemistry with my major, hehe.

On this example (bottom), youd start naming from the right because the intersection is only two carbons from the end of the chain, where as the left there are three carbons from the end of the chain to the nearest intersection.
Ya, you`re totally right.