What's new

You may want to stand clear of your PC

Eagle

aka Alshain
No, they dont blow up, they implode on themselves. So there is no reason to stand clear of you PC... right?

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Implosions move inward, but projectiles from the other side can possibly hit you if they clear the middle. (I know first hand)

Nothing to be concerned about though, as it would no doubt me minimal, just funny :D

Last edited:

iq_132

Banned
I don't think it would be funny if you paid like $600 american for a DVD burner that blows up when you burn a CD...
Sounds like a Hollywood conspiracy :)

Eagle

aka Alshain
I'm sure they would replace it IQ its probably under warranty and they may end up doing call backs on it.

Josep

eyerun4phun
i don't know if there was a pic to all of that, but i sure as hell would want to see a pic of it;) give me proof!!:)

icepir8

Eagle said:
No, they dont blow up, they implode on themselves. So there is no reason to stand clear of you PC... right?
Wrong! Implosions can create as many little flying objects as an explosion.
Ever see a TV picture tube implode. big chunks of glass with sharp edges embedded in the things around it when it imploded.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
icepir8 said:
Eagle said:
Ever see a TV picture tube implode. big chunks of glass with sharp edges embedded in the things around it when it imploded.

Hehe and its a beautiful sight

/me was around when somebody dropped a huge presentation monitor

Slougi

AlphaWolf said:
icepir8 said:
Eagle said:

Hehe and its a beautiful sight

* AlphaWolf was around when somebody dropped a huge presentation monitor
ROFLMAO :D

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Not real?

/me is offended

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/hs/pioneer.html

(Manufacturers website)

The source of the problem is a firmware "bug" in certain Pioneer DVD-R/RW recorders and drives, and not with the high-speed media itself. As a result, use of the new high-speed discs for recording on these particular Pioneer products may cause damage to both the loaded disc and to the drive/recorder. The following drives and recorders may be affected:

And:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/27163.html

An overheating problem among drives used with new high-speed discs can destroy both the unit and the medium, manufacturer Pioneer is trying hard to avoid saying. Using soon to be available 4X discs for DVD-R and 2X discs for DVD-RW with the following drives is thought to be risky: DVR-7000 DVD recorder; PRV-9000 Professional DVD recorder; DVR-A03 computer drive; DVR-103 computer drive; DVR-A04 computer drive; DVR-104 computer drive.

:cool:

Anchel

The Xpaniard
I would like to see it in a reliable source, like a PC magazine. If it's real, it should appear in many magazines in Spain

IceLord

reliable source?

Quote:

The source of the problem is a firmware "bug" in certain Pioneer DVD-R/RW recorders and drives, and not with the high-speed media itself. As a result, use of the new high-speed discs for recording on these particular Pioneer products may cause damage to both the loaded disc and to the drive/recorder. The following drives and recorders may be affected:

that statement is from the people who <b>make</B> the drives