What's new

XP and Linux

OP
Macca

Macca

ah i see so the programs are more like addon's then seperate components. ahh it all makes more sense now. i'll probably have about 3 gb linux to be safe, cause i'm planning to use it quite a bit.

also do you have any reccomendatiojns for software such as office packages or anything else that is really good?

linux follows (or at least 'should') the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard FHS in such a way that makes your files easier to maintain like :
the root directory is /
administration binaries go in /sbin
system binaries go in /bin
binaries that have less priority than that in /bin go in /usr/bin
optional packages go in /opt
configuration files go in /etc

got it ?

If you wanna good Office Suite for Linux , you may consider :
OpenOffice : the best of all but needs hell of systems resources
GNOME Office Suite : that is included with the GNOME Desktop Environment (includes AbiWord - the fastest full featured word processor on earth)

KOffice : comes with the K Desktop Environment (very promising)

all are Free Software

and of course you can use M$ Office with WINE (WINE Is Not an Emulator) or better with CrossOver Office

There are LOTS of Office Suites for Linux , search freshmeat for more

does someone know that the windows swap file can be used as swap for linux ? It can save a few Mb
hmm.. , I didn't try bu I think it should work with no problems if you make a symlink for the file on the windows partition and then swapon the symlink (note that the windows partition MUST be mounted before 'swapon'ing the swap file on linux at the system boot scripts)

OP
Macca

Macca

stupid winmodem...i guess linux is not much good for me then cause of my modem :(

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
About 40% of the winmodems out there have compatible linux drivers. Just find out as much information about your modem as you can and see if any exist.

OP
Macca

Macca

is there a way to find out more about it besiders opening it up and using device manager?