What's new

WipEout 64 Glitch

purist284

Hi,

I noticed the Tech Talk area is for hardware and software troubleshooting. I hope this is not off topic. I wanted to bring this to the attention of those working on PJ64 1.7, because it makes finishing WipEout impossible.

I've been having trouble with the Time Trial challenge dialog locking up on me after i've unlocked trial 2. I'm able to complete all six trials by not browsing through the menu at all in between challenges (and just hitting my "A" button). Having done this if i try to return to the Time Trial challenge menu i get an error message that reads something like "There was an exception loading graphics. You may have to restart the Rom" - and I did.

The result is an inacessable Time Trial Gold Challenge (making it impossible to finish the game). So far the weapons and race challenge menus have worked no problem. I don't know anything about code, but it's probably something pretty simple. I've tried every rom I could (about 6 now) and they've all (but one, which was worse) had the exact same problem.

Well, I hope this is helpful and not too off topic. Good luck!

OP
P

purist284

update

I've also encountered the same problem with the Super Combo Challenge dialog locking up. Just thought I'd mention that here.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
is this (E) or (U) region?
could you post your save and instructions how to recreate this please. may be fixable with settings.

OP
P

purist284

savegame and jsf

Savegame is attached along with my .jsf file. It happens to me whether my game is loaded or not. To recreate my problem unlock a time trial challenge and return to the menu. Reenter the Time Trial challenge dialog and try to browse up and down. (If you have the same problem i have it'll lock up and you'll have to reset the Rom).

I'm currently using a (U) file though the (U) is not in the file name. I've tried the (E) files also and have had the same problem, if not, worse.

Hopefully this is helpful. I'll go and unlock everything i can later and post that mpk also.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
"unlock a time trial challenge"
that means playing the game? i think i'll need a state then :p

OP
P

purist284

Ok

1: Open Project 64
2: Open Rom (*WipEout 64)
3: Press Start to enter main menu
4: Select Challenge
5: Select Time Trial Challenge 1
6: Play Time Trial Challenge One
7: Return To Menu
8: Return to Challenge Menu
9: Return to Time Trial Challenge Menu
10: Browse Time Trial Challenge Menu
11: Wonder why Time Trial Challenge Menu locks up for no reason

(or, alternatively)

1: Load previously attached save game
2: Go to Time Trial Challenge Menu
3: Browse around and see if it locks up on you (it does for me)

At this point if your Time Trial Challenge menu locks up, you have the same problem I do. Sorry if that's unclear.

The Super Combo Challenges are unlocked by completing the 18 Race, Time Trial and Weapon challenges.

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ah yes, now those are good instructions, except you forgot to say load the save :p

yes i see the problem.. interesting. thanks.
sometimes it slows down and hangs,
sometimes it also shows a gfx access violation..

i wonder if its the game or the core.. did you use any cheats at all, ever?

Last edited:
OP
P

purist284

freakin cool

sorry i double posted. internet connection is sketchy today

Last edited:
OP
P

purist284

freakin cool

I thought I was the only one. Thanks a bunch. In the meantime, the Single Race mode and time trial modes seem to work fine. i can get my WipEout fix but can't finish the game.

c'est la vie, i guess.

Um, I haven't played around with the cheats yet. I'll give that a try some time. See where that gets me.

OP
P

purist284

Wipeout 64 Savegame

Here's my savegame. I've taken it as far as I can, leaving only the Time Trial and Super Combo Gold Challenges. (I'm not sure if there's anything else to unlock... but it'd still be nice to finish this game).

If you're wondering how i did this: after unlocking time trial challenge 2 (completing challenge 1), i selected "Next Challenge" and the second challenge is automatically highlighted and so i click my "A" button and so on until all six challenges are completed. Any attempt to browse the Time Trial Challenge menu (or Super Combo Challenge menu) results in the controls locking up.

phew.

Last edited: