What's new

Windows Media Player 10... is gay.

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
I just ported, like, 20GB of music from my old computer to my new one and I've been having trouble getting some of my mp3 format songs to play on WMP10. I'm kinda obssesive compulsive about what I install on my brand new semi-beast so I wanted to stick with Micro$ofts default crapware.

It says that the problem could be that I don't have the right codec to read the file... I take it MP3 can be read/written differently? I checked the MS website and it tells me that the codecs are downloaded automatically... so, what do I do to play my problematic music files (with WMP 10)?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Don't use Codec Packs!
They are dangerous to say at least, and besides, FFDShow is a good, free, and failsafe alternative. MP3 is a codec format - it cannot, to my knowledge, be written "differently."

And yes, WMP10 is crapware and gay. It's buggy and just generally stupid.

Last edited:

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
But he's talking about WMP10 :p not 11 Doom. Anyway try Winamp, but is wierd that your mp3 are not playing well. MP3 is a standard you know, running MP3 is not so "hard" for a player to do it well.

Doomulation

Haali + ffdshow is all you need actually. This combination can decode pretty much anything - including mp4, mkv and ogg.

t0rek said:
But he's talking about WMP10 :p not 11 Doom. Anyway try Winamp, but is wierd that your mp3 are not playing well. MP3 is a standard you know, running MP3 is not so "hard" for a player to do it well.
*Ahem* typo I say ;)

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
With all the hype with testing BETAs I bet you didn't pay atention that he was talking about the 10 one :p

Doomulation

Maybe. But my opinion still stands - WMP has outlived its usefulness - ESPECIALLY WMP11. There's no good option to ignore the aspect ration in WMP :/

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
A little offtopic, what do you use for playing music / videos Doom? For music I use Winamp and for Videos I use Media Player Classic

Doomulation

Zoom Player suits all your needs, whether it be videos or music. Funationality beyond that of WMP (okay, not things such as a Media Library, but who needs 'em?!).

yegosimo

Bug Killer
Dude, back on topic...
Did you try reinstalling the Media Player? I use that one for my Mp3's and I don't have any problems with it...

OP
tye stik

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
yegosimo said:
Dude, back on topic...
Did you try reinstalling the Media Player? I use that one for my Mp3's and I don't have any problems with it...

I'll try that... yeah I appreciate your suggestions as to a different (and probably better) audio player... but I really dont wanna install anything that isnt completely neccessary. Don't ask me why, I dunno, I'm really pissy about this computer. I just want it to work with WMP 10 damnit!

I've tried many other players on my other computer... JetAudio was probably the best that I used. WinAmp was pretty cool. WMP Classic came with the K-Lite codec pack I downloaded once to play some .avi's I picked up. It was pretty good I guess. A little 'dated' looking though.

Its pretty retarded, I know these files aren't curupt or anything cause I was just playing them on my other computer before they where transfered... it was in Jet Audio come to think of it. Perhaps they were curupted during the transfer?

Doomulation

tye stik said:
I'll try that... yeah I appreciate your suggestions as to a different (and probably better) audio player... but I really dont wanna install anything that isnt completely neccessary. Don't ask me why, I dunno, I'm really pissy about this computer. I just want it to work with WMP 10 damnit!

I've tried many other players on my other computer... JetAudio was probably the best that I used. WinAmp was pretty cool. WMP Classic came with the K-Lite codec pack I downloaded once to play some .avi's I picked up. It was pretty good I guess. A little 'dated' looking though.

Its pretty retarded, I know these files aren't curupt or anything cause I was just playing them on my other computer before they where transfered... it was in Jet Audio come to think of it. Perhaps they were curupted during the transfer?
It could very well be rogue codecs and filters installed on the computer. Grab GraphEdit from somewhere on the web and create a graph and tell us how it looks like.

OP
tye stik

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
It could very well be rogue codecs and filters installed on the computer. Grab GraphEdit from somewhere on the web and create a graph and tell us how it looks like.

I found out what the problem was... I guess, somewhere along the line, the media files extensions were changed to mp3 from... probably wmv. So that was the problem.

GraphEdit is a neat program BTW.