What's new

Windows Firewall

zilmar

Emulator Developer
Do you use a firewall on your PC? If so which one and what do you like/dislike about it.

legend of zelda

Just another Zelda fan
Of course, doesn't everyone? I use norton personal firewall, i've never used anything else, so i don't really know what's good and what sucks, but i don't really have any complaints. it stops hackers, makes all my ports stealth for those port probers, let's my allow/deny access to the internet to any programs that try to access it so i can stop trojan downloaders and the like or let legit programs do whatever. I'm sure it has some flaws that only the most tech savvy would know about, but as far as i'm concerned it gets the job done. ooh ooh ooh wait a sec here! It can't do anything if i get pinged though right? i guess that's the only thing i don't like about it, but i don't think any other firewalls can do it either right? or am i just making myself look retarded once again?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I use Zonealarm, free and effective with a hint of cheese and ham pieces. best served with a side of potato wedges :)

legend of zelda

Just another Zelda fan
you know, i was thinking, what the hell is getting pinged anyways? i read about it somewhere once a long time ago, but i'm not entirely sure what it is.

WhiteX

ScottJC said:
I use Zonealarm, free and effective with a hint of cheese and ham pieces. best served with a side of potato wedges :)

Same here, although i´d rather have a salad.:drool:

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
legend of zelda said:
you know, i was thinking, what the hell is getting pinged anyways? i read about it somewhere once a long time ago, but i'm not entirely sure what it is.

You should be able to send a ping out, the firewall is most likely blocking incomming ICMP packets used for ping. If you wanted it you should be able to allow it.

yegosimo

Bug Killer
I use Norton Internet Security 2005
It is pretty effective, but it takes too much time loading at the startup

A.I.

Banned
I don't need anti-virus or a firewall - I just wrap my computer monitor in gladwrap.

It keeps all the special goodness in and all the nasties out and is useful for other, um, applications.

Pass the spray 'n' wipe please...

Quvack

Software wise I'm only using the basic Windows Firewall, my router has a hardware firewall built into it so I figure that does the job. never really had any problems yet :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Using Outpost Firewall Pro. Or used. Doesn't work under Vista.
Windows Firewall is *not* a good firewall at all. Everyone who does not use a hardware one should consider using another one. There's nothing wrong in using a software firewall *and* a hardware one either.

@Miretank: Without a firewall you're just asking to be hacked, mate. Put one on or you'll be sorry.

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
I like some things with outpost .. they do a good job with some of the gui stuff .. other things I dislike as well ..

Doomulation

Yes, there's always things we dislike. But I like Outpost because it has a nice GUI, easy to use, and have many functions and is safe.

Miretank

Lurking
@Miretank: Without a firewall you're just asking to be hacked, mate. Put one on or you'll be sorry.
you guys are not planning to hack me now that you know that I dont use firewall, right? :plain:

Doomulation

zilmar said:
If I dislike it then I can always create my own :p
What are you going to call it? "Zilmar Firewall"? :p

Miretank said:
you guys are not planning to hack me now that you know that I dont use firewall, right? :|
Don't count of us to not. Get yourself a firewall, mate, and we can't hack you.