What's new

Windows 2000 is sooo [NOT] fast.

Eagle

aka Alshain
I cant believe this. You guys keep claiming how fast Win2k is but when I finally install it, it is slower than Win98. Windows XP is far superior. Every game I've tried lags to death as for some reason it reads the hard drive extremely slow. All the UDMA/ATA133 etc settings are correct but yet this thing runs slower than any other OS I have EVER used whenever I start a D3D game. I upgraded to a 1.6gig processor and yet it seems as though nothing has changed. I know the hard drive is old but its actually running slower than it did before.

mesman00

What's that...?
maybe it is slow on your computer, but not mine, its the best os for me. its way faster then win98, and id on't get those crappy slow downs all the time

RJA

The PC Wiz
Re: Win2000 bus master IDE driver problem

Win 2000 being slow is caused by a problem with the bus master
IDE drivers. It's slow, because, it's PIO 4'ing.

Slougi

Win2k is much faster here as well, I can't imagine going back to WinXP. The gui is MUCH more responsive, and games are somewhat faster as well.

RPGlover12

i think i had the same problem but thats only if u installed tooooo many programs that starts at the startup and there is no msconfig to remove these shit

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
To answer some questions

blizz: Never had this problem with XP
RJA: Windows & Norton Utilities claims its running in UDMA for the 14gig and DMA for the 2gig
Slougi: Not on my system its not.
flow: Fully updated Windows/Norton/Office/Visual Studio/etc.
RPG: I have 3, Norton AV, Norton IS, and Asus Probe running on startup. As far as I know thats all that is running other than windows components.
Olger: They all have MSConfig... I dont understand what your saying.

RPGlover12

Eagle said:

RPG: I have 3, Norton AV, Norton IS, and Asus Probe running on startup. As far as I know thats all that is running other than windows components.
r u sure that u installed a clean version of win2k coz i never had this problem and when i did coz many shit was installed and started at the startup
maybe u should try re installin it

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yes, its a clean install. I'm not reinstalling it, if I delete it now, it stays off and I'm going back to XP.

RJA

The PC Wiz
Eagle,

I dislike Windows XP, because there is this major bug:

With the GeForce 2 MX, Windows XP Setup locks up crashes
at "Setup is starting Windows" and this is no joke:

To get though Windows XP installation, *not* Windows 2000,
I must take out my GeForce 2 MX and put in my Voodoo 3
then reinsert my GeForce 2 MX *after* Windows XP installation
is complete.:!!!:

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Re: Eagle,

RJA said:

I have a GF2 MX, and that never happened to me :\

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Re: Eagle,

RJA said:

My brother had that problem. We couldnt figure out what it was. I'm on a Geforce 3 though.

ra5555

N64 Newbie
could be a bug, about which os is better, it just depends on your computer, normally computers faster than 800mhz runs better on XP

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
RJA said:

I never had a problem like that one, Eagle I highly recommend you Windows XP, for me is faster and more compatible with games and emulators. The only problem that I had with it was with Need For Speed 4, but I think it was because the game was too old and it doesn't have compatibility with my graphic card, but after all it was a minor problem.
Windows XP configured my graphic card for itself, I only ugrade the drivers for it

Stezo2k

S-2K
well RJA why dont ya put ya voodoo 3 in then when installing xp? i have a gf2mx and xp works superbly with it :) i doubt its the gfx card

Stez

Trotterwatch

RJA, your problem is a motherboard issue - there will be a BIOS update to apply before installing XP that stops the GF2 MX lockup.