What's new

Win. XP and DOS

Dr. Famicom

Talks Out Of His Ass
How do I get them to work together in harmony, instead of giving me the "device failed to initialize fullscreen mode" error message?

This is a simple and newbish question, I'll admit, but I can't find help anywhere else.

Eagle

aka Alshain
You don't. XP is not reliant on DOS as previous versions of Windows are. XP is truely its own operating system.

Eagle

aka Alshain
oh, you just want a full screen console? Start the command prompt and hit Alt+Enter.

OP
Dr. Famicom

Dr. Famicom

Talks Out Of His Ass
I didn't really mean "work together", I was speaking in a literary way. Sorry about that. My problem is that anytime I try to start any MS-DOS application, it either gives me that error message, or doesn't do anything at all. Specifically, I can't get any emulator-related tools to identify anything or find tiles.

doggie

Banned
well.. its not dos.. its just a mear clone of it... microsoft have ceased working on such an old program.. i don't know why people continue to actually use it :happy:

OP
Dr. Famicom

Dr. Famicom

Talks Out Of His Ass
The Khan Artist said:
'Cause it's damn fast?

Anyways, the best way is to dual-boot WinXP and either Win98SE or FreeDOS.

That sounds helpful. Thanks. Now I'm off to find out what the heck a dual-boot is.

If I may, Where can I find this "FreeDOS" ?

Last edited:

Rocketman_mab

Good luck with the dual boot. Unless you have a FAT32 hard drive with 2000 or less on it you will have a lot of fun setting up a dual boot.

Along those lines, would it be possible to create an emulator that would simulate a DOS environment that could run in XP? If so, has it been done? (I'm talking something like an apple 2 emulator or something).

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well, Windows has always included a small software than can emulate dos in windows. It is still windows envoirment, though, so it isn't very useful.