What's new

Will we ever see complete LLE emulation?

arablizzard2

When is someone going to make a complete LLE graphics plugin instead of an HLE one? I know Hacktarux started one, but that never made it past HLE. I would think the development on that would take less time then trying to figure out how each ucode works.

I know Azimer made an LLE audio plugin, but I haven't a clue how to get it working... (audio keeps looping)

I know HLE is supposed to be faster, but haven't newer computers reached a point where speed shouldn't be an issue anymore?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
The problem with LLE video emulation is that it is incredibly slow, too slow for it to be practical, hence why not much has come of it yet. Likely LLE will start to show up when we're all using 30ghz computers - thats if anyone is still interested in the n64 at that point.

Despite what you may be thinking, our technology still isn't fast enough to do LLE video emulation. N64 emulators are a hybrid of sorts, some aspects of it have LLE emulation and others are HLE. It works pretty well.

Last edited:

zilmar

Emulator Developer
Pj64 1.7 can be run purely lle.

pj64 all versions run the audio lle.

star wars rogue squadren complete lle runs, but it is like 5 fps on a decent computer

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Not to mention that the graphics quality will be inferior with LLE, as I think we have witnessed.

OP
A

arablizzard2

Doomulation said:
Not to mention that the graphics quality will be inferior with LLE, as I think we have witnessed.

Well yes, because it would be running at the same resolution the original nintendo 64 would right?

As for the speed, wouldn't it be possible to include cpu optimizations in the code? (like HyperThreading, MMX, Dual Core, 64 bit, etc.)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well, of course it is. MMX/SSE/3DNow, I would believe at least some of those instruction sets are already implemted. Dual Core & HyperThreading requires seperate threads for code ececution to take advantage which might come with time.

Reznor007

MAME and MESS have a WIP N64 driver. It will play Rampage World Tour/Universal Tour in full LLE at full speed on a fast PC. The sound isn't perfect last time I tried, but the graphics were perfect. In 3d games there are many glitches(it's still WIP), but Mario64 is recognizable, and 33% speed on my computer.