Locutus

Here are my sys specs (It's a laptop and I know it sux so...):

Processor: mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP2800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.1GHz
Mem: 192 mb
Video: ATI Technologies Inc. RADEON IGP 320M
Sound: Conexant AMC AUDIO
Net Connect: Dial-up :(

(crappy specs, huh?)

What I want to know is... if I were to find a The Legend of Zelda - Wind Waker ISO will I be able to play it on my comp well? I heard that one has to have the best of the best comp to play it. If this is so I wont waste my time fooling with it yet... but if I can get something that is even ALMOST playable I wanna take a shot at it. So what do you think? Should I try it or not?

-Loc-

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
You'll probably get up to the title screen, though on my 2800 I get about 1-3fps. No ps support, so things like the sky will be black. Def not playable, but still interesting to see.

Clements

What graphic cards have PS support ???

GeForce 3 and up (NOT the MX series which are all really overclocked GeForce 2s), Radeon 8500 and up.

However, Dolphin benefits from DX9 cards so that would be 9500 and up and FX 5200 and up. A card with no Pixel Shaders will have problems with displaying colours and textures correctly.

What I want to know is... if I were to find a The Legend of Zelda - Wind Waker ISO will I be able to play it on my comp well? I heard that one has to have the best of the best comp to play it. If this is so I wont waste my time fooling with it yet... but if I can get something that is even ALMOST playable I wanna take a shot at it. So what do you think? Should I try it or not?

Even if you customised an Alienware PC with the very best components with FX-55 and 6800 Ultra SLI with 4GB RAM, you would not break about 5fps in game. Gamecube emulation is really proof of concept and not really intended for people to play games on it, although there have been some successes in some games in terms of speed.

You'd be best off buying a GC and some decent RGB cables and it'll look nice.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Yeah, I payed about $450 for my GeForce 6800 GT, and even at overclocked speeds - I don't exceed 4-5fps in game. (Plus my 64bit cpu). Same goes for most of the other things that I've tested, including Mario Sunshine.

Anyone test gc emu with any of the quadros or other workstation class cards? It'd be interesting to see how well they do, though it probably won't be much higher.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
It still looks pretty neat on the MX Fool... even worth the hour wait to rip the rom :satisfied

Clements

ShizZie: Quadro's are slower in gaming, so the FPS will decrease a bit. Quadro's are faster in specviewperf and such than their GeForce equivalents.

You can softmod a GeForce to a Quadro since they are almost identical with Rivatuner and the 3D rendering benches increase to Quadro levels and save yourself a grand. Your 6800 GT will mod to a FX4000 which fetches around $1500.

See here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123844

Fool

Me
Maybe but I want better graphics :p I think I waited to rip my Luigi's Mansion about 1 hour :whistling

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Ahh yeah, Clements - I've seen that before. I never bothered though because I'm not too confident in flashing BIOS, and I'm afraid I'd screw my whole machine up. Not to mention that it also voids your warranty, and the legality of it remains in that gray "matter of opinion" area. I don't really have any need for it's extra features at the moment either, but maybe someday I'll get around to modding it.

Clements

Yeah, I wouldn't risk it either. :p But the likelihood of someone with a decent Quadro is low since they are so expensive, so to bench it with Dolphin it would more likely if someone modded their video card to one, although I'm guessing the FPS will either be the same or a little less. In Dolphin's case a faster CPU will result in a greater FPS, but at the moment CPUs are a little underpowered and Dolphin is still quite new, a bit like when N64 emulation started and only a few games ran fast.