What's new

Will my PC be able to run Dolphin smoothly?

A4ndy

My specs are:
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+ Socket AM2 Black Edition 3.20GHz
Graphics Card - Sapphire HD 3850 256MB GDDR3
RAM - 2GB
HD - 500GB

So can Dolphin run at a decent speed with these specs? and I can play using a keyboard right?

Sercio

Noone can exact say what fpsrates you will get because you have a "supermega" system and you pwned us so we cant even speculate how fast dolphin will be work on your system! Please tell us how amazingly fast it does work! Please!

djnforce9

EDIT: OK, I've tried it in more detail so I have accurate results now:

I have a system like his (see my sig ;))

Paper Mario 2:
100+ FPS on the title screens and opening logos
60+ FPS in-game (Way too fast but actually playable - no sound though)

Super Smash Brothers Melee
100+ FPS on title screen
36+ FPS in-game (which is STILL way too fast might I add and SFX heard only)
NOTE: Disable dual core support and your FPS will drop to 26 which is more of a reasonably playable speed.

Puzzle Bobble 3000:
100+ no matter what (You guessed it, too fast but at least sound works and somehow runs at normal speed even though the game plays more like *THINK FAST* puzzle bobble)

Zelda - Wind Waker
28-30 RIGHT ON!! I'd say this is the most playable out of the ones I've tried. Too bad there's no sound.

In summary: Some sort of limiter or timing system is desperately needed for high end machines. Otherwise, these aren't playable unless you have insane reflexes. Also, sound doesn't seem to work in most cases.

Last edited:

ector

Emulator Developer
Thanks for testing, your system has the same CPU and similar RAM to the one I'm currently building as my new dev system, although I doubt I'll reach 3.85Ghz, I don't do watercooling :) Mine's slightly lamer though overall: Only one 8800GT, and a P5K mobo. Should be pretty fast, anyway.

Speed limiter is coming. Sound in zelda ... well.. nintendo is evil, let us just put it that way. Maybe someday...

djnforce9

Thanks for testing, your system has the same CPU and similar RAM to the one I'm currently building as my new dev system, although I doubt I'll reach 3.85Ghz, I don't do watercooling :) Mine's slightly lamer though overall: Only one 8800GT, and a P5K mobo. Should be pretty fast, anyway.

Speed limiter is coming. Sound in zelda ... well.. nintendo is evil, let us just put it that way. Maybe someday...

Actually, I'm still using air cooling. My heatsink is a ThermalTake V1 CPU Cooler. My machine may not be truely 3.85Ghz though since while windows and my games that show hardware diagnostics register 3.85Ghz, the bios and CPUZ state 3.41Ghz (the latter probably more accurate but still blazing fast nonetheless and gave me the speeds you saw above).

The only game that I could say ran "slow" was Super Mario Sunshine at as low as 17FPS but that's the one others were saying only ran at 1-4FPS so still awesome ;). I'm sure it'll improve too once some optimizations are in place.

I can safely say by these speeds that there are machines available today capable of perfect gamecube emulation once the emulator matures.

WickLTA

My specs are:
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+ Socket AM2 Black Edition 3.20GHz
Graphics Card - Sapphire HD 3850 256MB GDDR3
RAM - 2GB
HD - 500GB

So can Dolphin run at a decent speed with these specs? and I can play using a keyboard right?

why are you playing emulated games with a computer that good... you could be running crysis or something u663r 1337 epic-ly amazing in graphics.... ????!!!!