What's new

will i be able t run wii games @ full speed

dante489

hey everyone
i'm a new member and also have no experience in the emu world

my experience with emulation was with the pcsx2 I've tried itr on my outdated rig lol and it worked fine i even finished god of war 2 but I'm wondering will my rig handle the dolphin emulator well
specifications
c2d e8400 oc @4.0ghz
gpu 8800gtx i know its an old card
ram 2gb pc6400
windows xp sp3
i will be playing at 720p 1280x720 coz i'm using hd tv as a monitor
so be4 i buy or download some games do u think I'll be playing games at decent speed and does the wii pad work fine

TBiscuit

I don't know if this forum is dying or what.....
But lately it seems that nobody is willing to give simple advice.

In my experience, Dolphin emulation is pretty much on par with PCSX2 emulation.
If your rig is able to run *some* PS2 games at full speed, you will be able to run some GC/Wii games at full speed to.

I don't really see any weaknesses with your setup (except maybe for the Ram speed). But nothing that would really cripple the performance.

Just like any other emulatior in development, some games are going to run great, others barely playable and others won't even boot.

Take a look at this "unofficial" compatibility thread to get some ideas:

http://www.xtemu.com/forum/dolphin-forum-f19/unofficial-dolphin-svn-compatibility-list-t659.html

OP
D

dante489

I don't know if this forum is dying or what.....
But lately it seems that nobody is willing to give simple advice.

In my experience, Dolphin emulation is pretty much on par with PCSX2 emulation.
If your rig is able to run *some* PS2 games at full speed, you will be able to run some GC/Wii games at full speed to.

I don't really see any weaknesses with your setup (except maybe for the Ram speed). But nothing that would really cripple the performance.

Just like any other emulatior in development, some games are going to run great, others barely playable and others won't even boot.

Take a look at this "unofficial" compatibility thread to get some ideas:

http://www.xtemu.com/forum/dolphin-forum-f19/unofficial-dolphin-svn-compatibility-list-t659.html

thanks man i was about to say the same thing looool no replies at all
yes the pcsx2 works fine never gone below 60fbs but yesterday I've tried some game cube games they worked perfectly no lag at all but I've noticed that the frame-rate counter was around 30fbs in the gameplay and 60fps in the movies 30fbs in somehow in dolphin was completely playable the speed was perfectly normal the sound was decent but i always thought 30fps is a slow speed for emulation any explanation for this

TBiscuit

Well actually, 30fps is the maximum framerate of most Gamecube games.
This is a conscious decision developers made in order to achieve more complex and better looking graphics (could be due to a hardware limitation of the GC itself?).

Also, it's importante to remember that nintendo always excels in Multiplayer games, and in order to be able to run 4 game screens at the same time, they had to lower the framerate to 30.

I believe that some games actually run at 60fps, but most are locked at 30.

It has something to do with the graphics chip capacity of rendering polygons.
I read somewhere that at 60fps the chip could process 337,500 triangles, and at 30fps it could turn out about 675,000 triangles.

So don't worry. 30fps means 100% performance! In fact, in the emulator window right next to the VPS counter, there's a percentage meter (%) which better illustrates the games performance.

OP
D

dante489

thanks everyone i even finished New Super Mario Bros using the wiimote made me feel like i have a real wii ..by the way dolphin doesn't support multiple wiimotes right?

TBiscuit

Sorry man..
Can't help you there.

My best guess is no, since I haven't seen any options for a second Wiimote in the controller plugin.

jdsony

In case you hadn't noticed Dolphin does now support multiple Wiimotes. Dolphin runs fairly slow on my laptop but I think part of the issue is having bad onboard video with no support for OpenGL 2.1.