Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Windows ME

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Windows XP

Votes: 22 53.7%

• Total voters

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Windows 98 is a stable OS, after it's 4.1110.555 Revision, then is was called Windows 98, Second Edition. XP is very stable and I am getting it soon, again. The thing is with XP, Most hardware on your computer (Such as ahhhh, MODEM!!!) Wont work, If you use pro, you are in for a real treat... Fully desgined Start Bar, New Icons, New look, faster and better....
CpU MasteR Drools....

Last edited:

Acorn

Tesla lighten up!!!!

Maybe we can use this as a which windows in best for PJ64 ;)

I agree it'd be better in like TotT or something like that, but no need to yell at em.

hellknight said:
All windows that I had(98,me,xp pro)runs it the same:pj64:

crashed like an 18 wheeler going round a 180­ degree turn on an icy day in 98se for me... moving to winxp seemed to get rid of all of that... plus i found joyus reebooting seemed to get rid of a lot of crashes

Moonlight

I tried most of the Win9x variants and the most stable of the bunch was Win98SE. WinME was total crap.

But right now, I'm on a Win2k Pro + WinXP Pro setup. The XP setup is a bit heavy on the HDD (uses 1.5GB) but other than the usual bloating, XP has worked pretty well so far.

Mayco

CpU MasteR said:
Windows 98 is a stable OS, after it's 4.1110.555 Revision, then is was called Windows 98, Second Edition. XP is very stable and I am getting it soon, again. The thing is with XP, Most hardware on your computer (Such as ahhhh, MODEM!!!) Wont work, If you use pro, you are in for a real treat... Fully desgined Start Bar, New Icons, New look, faster and better....
CpU MasteR Drools....

the home edition has also a Fully desgined Start Bar, New Icons, New look, and is also faster and better....

Eagle

aka Alshain
Cool thing about XP is not only is it incredibly hardware compatible for an NT kernal, it also can be updated to be more compatible. I just ran a compatibility update and now my scanner works with MS Paint.

HostLink

CpU MasteR said:
Windows 98 is a stable OS

U must be kidding.

CpU MasteR said:
with XP, Most hardware on your computer (Such as ahhhh, MODEM!!!) Wont work

The windows reports said and affirmed my modem wont work because it's not supported, and also in the PCTEL Modem page the drivers for XP were not release yet. But I used the Win2000 drivers and voilá!! the modem was installed successfully and works perfectly.

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
HostLink said:

U must be kidding.

No I am not, I am Currently Running on Windows 98 and palnning to Upgrade to XP. (Again...) For Win98, as long as you dont drive it to your fullist, Like Just running PJ64 and no others, there is no problem...

HostLink said:

The windows reports said and affirmed my modem wont work because it's not supported, and also in the PCTEL Modem page the drivers for XP were not release yet. But I used the Win2000 drivers and voilá!! the modem was installed successfully and works perfectly

Oh! OK, The only thing is, My Freakin Modem Company, 3Com. Even though it is a Great Modem Manufacture, They haven't made any drivers for XP yet, But I am not worried, I am getting cable anyways... :colgate:

Zombie9920

Windows XP probably already has built in 3Com modem drivers for your modem.
So far I have built quite a few boxes for people w/a 3Com USR modem in it(different models of course) and installed XP on the boxes and the modem drivers were already built into the OS.

I am currently running Windows XP Professional Corporate Edition. I can't wait till the first Beta of Longhorn is leaked. :D

Zombie9920

Windows Longhorn = The next version of Windows(A Minor update to XP...it will be NT 5.2) It is expected to released early 2003, the Beta testing period will be starting early next year. Windows Blackcomb will be the version of Windows released after Longhorn(It will be a major update..it will be NT 6). It is expected to be out late 2004-early 2005.

I don't know who told you that XP has a small driver database man. XP has over 2x the database that Windows ME had. Like I said, your 3Com USR modem will more than likely be in that database.

linker

Emutalk Member
What is your modem

What is your modem - internal or external. Because in the NT kernel (means nt4/win2000/xp) you first have to turn on the modem then the windows. Because of you turn it on when you are in windows it doesn't detect it (you can't use it). I don't know is it a bug, but it doesn't happen in the 9x kernel.

P.S. Also win98 is better for games, cause I have made many tests and now I'm sure. But we can't say that it's stable. Nooooo... Winxp is the most stable OS (from the windows-es :))