What's new

Wich controller is the best to play N64 games?

Gamesforever

Hello people,

I have a question 4 u, and the question is wich controller is the best to play N64 games on the PC? I know, its the n64 controller, but i don´t have a cable to plug in the controller. So, wich controller do you commend? Thank for youre help.

Jimbot

PJ64k Support Team
I think mine is the best, but there are probably others that might be better.

From a reviewers standpoint: The Gravis Xterminator gamepad is clearly one of the best available on the market today. You can't beat the features it includes, such as the control stick, two d-pads, 6 buttons on the front, and others for only $40. I would recommend this game-pad in a heartbeat to any serious gamer.

Mine: It has the control stick, the A,B,and c-buttons, it has two "z" buttons. I set the left hand side button to the z and the right hand side to r, so then L was up on top. It also has a start button close to a, so there isnt a lag in between while your finger is moving.

gravisbig.jpg

There is aq newer version of it, but this one is better suited for n64. (the new one would be better suited for GC, if you know what i mean) If you can find it, its probably chear and better for n64.

ceedj

Pencil Neck Geek
Adaptiod USB - 29.99 (plus shipping)

Used n64 controller - $9.99 - EB Games should have a TON of these.

Playing n64 emu's with n64 controller = Priceless.

All told, about $10 more than buying a decent controller. The mapping of mouse functions for other games is pretty awesome too.

I used to have a Logitech Wingman that worked real well. Might be an alternative for you.

Good luck!

Jimbot

PJ64k Support Team
Your right Tag, does look better. I got mine as a present tho, so im not gonna complain! It also doesn't work sometimes, have to reconfigure it.

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

IceFlow2

Yeah, I use a Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Analog 3 pad. Its not bad exept there are only 4 front/right buttons

LD.

*poke*
My Gamecube adapter got delivered today (hurrah for Jandaman!) so I'm gonna try using that. The only problem I'm having so far is that the C-stick seems to be too sensitive :\

Other than that, the PSX DualShock pads would be pretty good for the N64. Map the second analog stick to the C-buttons, L1/R1 to the L/R shoulder buttons and L2 to the Z-trigger. And that gives you 6 extra buttons for macros and stuff ;)

Nothing beats the Adaptoid though...

Acorn

Its all in the Logitech Wingmans :) Wireless counts for a lot, when yer computer is downstairs piping out N64 video to the TV upstairs, and you want to play (with your friends) while sitting on the couch.

Has rumble, two control sticks, 1 d-pad, 6 buttons (a,b,c,x,y,z) a start button (most other miss this!), and 4 buttons on the back (R1, R2, L1, L2).

Its a bit large, but still light and it fits your hand well.

www.logitech.com

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
That's hillarious. Companies are actually making controllers for emulation, though they're, of course, not gonna admit it. :)

Personally, I use my gravis gamepad pro's. If you can find them, they'll be very cheap, and are good all the way around.

But Jimbot's looks even better for N64 emulation due to it's design (but designed just like the N64 controller though, obviously). Gravis Gamepad Pro's are great for PSX emulation.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
GamePad Pro's are crippled IMO for Saturn/N64/PSX and future console emulation.

No sticks = bleh...

And mapping all the N64's buttons on a GPPro was a pain in the ass; I had the oddest control setup ever, designed specifically for DOOM64 and Quest64, the only two games I played on that pad :)

My95ZR2

I use the Logitech Wingman Wireless Rumble. I love that pad. I can use TV out and sit over at the TV and play my games with no problems, and I can even have RUMBLE. Its set up kinda like a PS controler, but it has six buttons on the right, A B and the Cs, four shoulder buttons, I only use two, though. It has two triggers, and a little start button. Its a pretty nice control, and I got it for ~$50. Another good one is the Thrustmaster Dual Analog or Dual Power, but they are a little harder to play with. My first pad was the Hammerhead FX. That was the best pad, it had enough buttons, it was comfortable, and it had rumble. Ahhhhh, the many hours of Chrono Cross, Metal Gear Solid and all 40 of my N64 games...

Adam

Plisco

Sevillian
I think my adaptoid was a great investment. Nothing like the real thing. When it arrived I went out to go and get a N64 controller, i managed to get a gold controller 'limited edition' and a free rumble pack for £8. Bargain :p and money well spent.:)

Flash

Technomage
I have 4 N64 pads on one LPT connector,
2 PSX (actually PS2 Dualshock 2) and two saturn pads with same LPT connector (Saturn pads are gr8 for Capcom fighting games).

Aquatakat

I use an AxisPad... not the best, but good enough. The right stick is great for Perfect Dark and GoldenEye.

cinderbyte

Designated Decoy :-D
I use the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2, works really good with the c-buttons as the hat switch on the top of the controller. Z is the trigger with A as the missle 1 button, B as missle 2, L as missle 3 (since not used that much) & the start & R as the base buttons.

for more info on the Sidewinder Precison 2, go here.

Sidewinder Precision 2

Laterz

Martin

Administrator
Currently, I use Adaptoid + N64 Controller but soon I'll have 2x Adaptoid + 2x N64 Controller (both Clear purple) + 4x Extension Cables + 2x Rumble Paks (Jolt). Hardware from Jandaman's shop, of course. :D

Stezo2k

S-2K
I find a PS2 easy enough, i use R1 As the Z button, X as A, Square as B, The Right Stick as the C buttons, The Left stick as the analouge stick, the D pad as the d pad, and the l and r as r2 and l2, quite similar, easy to get used to :)