What's new

Why there is trouble (still) in River City (Japan Quake and why car production is ...

Cyberman

http://www.eetimes.com/General/DisplayPrintViewContent?contentItemId=4215794

If you aren't familiar with MCU's or micro controllers. Your typical car has about 8 to 20 of them. From your radio to your ECU, your transmission, etc. they all have a processor in it. These tiny humble computers, run your car pretty much, and not you. (See Toyota 'sudden' acceleration problem for a reference).

These parts run all sorts of things, including toasters (yes toasters), your thermostat these days IS a computer your oven (micro wave definitely) your MP3 player is actually 3 or 4 usually due to 'licensing' issues with the format. Your iPhone has about 7 to 8 processors in it. Your PC has a few too. That's reality for you. Your game controllers for example are an MCU usually (USB is a VERY complicated standard you want to get a seizure just try reading one part of the spec). The Playstation 3, six axis controllers have 2 controllers in them, one usb device and one blue tooth device that attaches to the USB (blue tooth is actually less complicated than USB surprisingly enough).

A shortage in these parts is a serious problem. As noted in the article entire assembly plant lines are shut down because, NO PARTS. Parts I use for things I make are from TI Atmel and Freescale (but DEFINITELY not Micochip they are Ok for CAN, analog and memory but there processors left a warm brown taste in my mouth every time I've used them). Pretty much ANY electronic device relies on these things. This includes appliances as I noted.

In the mean time I hope those of us in Japan are well. The world is a not so simple or isolated place anymore is it?

Cyb