What's new

Why does it hurt to help???

Lu Bu

I'm new to this forum, but I'm already noticing a trend. Some people who post replies to threads find it more amusing to insult or humiliate the people looking for help, rather than helping. tech support is a thankless job, I should know, I've been a repair technician for 2-3 years and I find that I seem to always be answering the same questions, or "stupid" questions. As frustrating as this may be, you must remember, not everyone has the knowledge some of you posess, and because you posess such knowledge is the reason people come to these forums. They're only looking for answers to their problems. Even though you may have posted a solution in an earlier thread, remember that the thread will eventually become buried over time and most people will only look so long before they post a new thread. I am grateful for those who have answered my questions and those that show compassion and patience with us newbies. But, for those who find it more entertaining to post a reply of "OMG you're an idiot" instead of "file X is a part of file y.zip and you can find it here" please keep your sarcasm and bad attitude to yourself.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Dear Lu Bu,

Hi there, I am a representative of both Emulation64 Inc. and EmuTalk Corp. I would like to express an extreme apology for any rude or intimidating comments that you have read on this message board/forum (now referred to as "Da Board"). As most of the users on Da Board are not professionals, and some users have not even finished a level comparable to a high school graduate we cannot always retain a high level conversation.

I myself am training to be a technician in the field of computers and I am aware of the patients required to fulfill a high level of support. I would like to thank you for your feedback upon Da Board’s standards (in fact we have no standards) and we wish to see you grow with Da Board as Da Board continues to grow around you.

Thank you for your time,

Malcolm
EmuTalk & Emulation64 Staff
(refer to signature for those whom are “gay”)

Duncan

N64 Addict
Can understand where your coming from. I think the biggest problem alot of the regulars have is alot of us spend alot of time to include documentation with the emulators (i.e. Readme.txt, etc.), and its stated all over these boards and etc. to do so, but alot dont, so some peeps just get frustrated that the answers are right there on their HD, and they didnt even bother to look.

Alot of us try and help regardless of that fact, some dont mean things to come across in a bad way, but like anything else, theres allways going to be alot of different personalities to deal with.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Lu Bu said:
Even though you may have posted a solution in an earlier thread, remember that the thread will eventually become buried over time and most people will only look so long before they post a new thread.
While this is very true, & Duncan was also to the point.
The function for explaination is there for users on both "ET"
(Via the very Good & Working) Search option, & the Readmes, What's new documents that come with the packages.

& Yes there is alot of {}:{'ity going on with lame answers.
But again all this can be avoided by reading (bothering to look for)the supplied documents & Supported websites.

karth95

Lord of the Cats
I agree with you, Gent, but there are some things that aren't addressed in the readme or in the docs. The quickload/quicksave is just one of these. I know I could have found it by looking, but I made an assumption (bad me) that it wouldn't be an option that didn't seem to have anything to do with quicksave/load. I personally think that there are some good, valid questions. I guess, (IMO) that they (being admins) could put up a newbie section, and guide people new to the scene there, and people from the main forums who felt willing to "waste the time" to go in there and answer newbie questions, write faqs, etc. Make it sort of a "If you've got a stupid question I've got the right answer" area. That way the serious discussion of a specific emu, like 1964 or PJ could go on without someone asking every other day, "What's the best input plugin?" or something else everyone's answered a few hundred times. I know I'd be in there, and probably create a faq thread based on what I know, and just update it with new information so the information IS on the front page, in a place a newbie would look. Just a thought.
_-=Karth

I was thinking about this after I typed it. I think it would be a good idea to have at the top of the page, above the thread list (as a thread just doesn't seem to impact people) a note, something flashy, saying "Hey! If you are new, and have a question about this game or that, or how to get the best graphics on this emu or that, check out (link to newbie forum).

I imagine newbies would like to be able to go to a place where the first priority is answering thier question, even if it's just a link to a specific thread or FAQ.

Last edited:

Azimer

Emulator Developer
[joke]
Dear Uncle Traveling Malcolm,

I hope you are having a good time with your patients. I hope they get better soon. I understand some of them are suffering from neglect due to lack of care. As a fellow associate of Emulation64 Inc. and EmuTalk Corp., I respect the responsibility you have bestowed upon yourself to assist those in dire need. I have been told some of your patients are gay. Just be careful Uncle. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Love,

Nephew Azimer
[/joke]

Now who wants cake and icecream?! :D

Malcolm said:
Hi there, I am a representative of both Emulation64 Inc. and EmuTalk Corp. I would like to express an extreme apology for any rude or intimidating comments that you have read on this message board/forum (now referred to as "Da Board"). As most of the users on Da Board are not professionals, and some users have not even finished a level comparable to a high school graduate we cannot always retain a high level conversation.

I myself am training to be a technician in the field of computers and I am aware of the patients required to fulfill a high level of support. I would like to thank you for your feedback upon Da Board’s standards (in fact we have no standards) and we wish to see you grow with Da Board as Da Board continues to grow around you.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Thanks "Nephew" Azimer. I always appriciate support from those in the family, and yes my spelling error.. patience.

Anyways, always glad to hear from people who live far far away!

Love,
Unkie Mal-kie
;)