What's new

Why does 1964 have such less hardware requirements? This puzzles me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
I'm puzzled. Both do basically the same thing, yet 1964 will run decently on a MUCH slower system than pj, more like around 70% faster! I can get over 56 vi/s in high traffic areas in games like zelda, banjo, mario, etc, etc... on a crappy k6-2 500 @ 550, GeForce4 MX 420, all at 800x600 with azimer's audio plugin. I only get the occasional minor skip after a minute of audio playing,which is unbelievable for such a shitty cpu (specially the fpu, the only thing i can think of is EXTENSIVE 3dnow support in 1964) ?

How in the world is it possible!? :1964:

Last edited:

Hyper_X

heheh...u must've read my thread about 1964 eh?

Anyway, i heard that the emulator was made from a really fast advanced compiling engine

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Nope, didn't read it, yet. :)

Must have taken quite a while to write a compiler THIS fast, i mean, its fuckin crazy... :happy:

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
I'd gladly wait much longer for the final version (i've got 8.4 beta RC1, and it's much improved over 0.7.3 or 0.8.0.)

O.T. - Can anyone see my sig image? i'm not sure if this host allows remote linking..

Last edited:

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
how stable is 8.4 ?? and how is it coming along are they anywhere near a realease? is there netplay? lol cause am only gonna have dsl for another month or 2

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
i think its possible because the authors spend so much time only on the CPU core, improving it, making it faster... rice and schibo rule!

one wonders why theres no rice and schibo picture like there is for :1964: :p

go :1964:

Engeljaeger

professional pessimist
Now, my question again here...
Will the new 1964 have higher system requirements than the old one or equal or what?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
i saw in one thread that someone said it was "faster" than the older ones, if thats the case it will be lower system requirements

:thumbsup:

Duncan

N64 Addict
The next version will have the same requirements, the current build is (so far) stable and fast, but you have to keep in mind that your choice of plugins can also make a difference as well as your system specs.

Another added bonus with 1964 is 32 Bit mode, as low-end machines will see better FPS/VI's with games that support it.

Last edited:

Stezo2k

S-2K
crhylove said:
great, now i have to trash this 1.2 ghz athlon and go buy an old k6-2.....

rhy

LMFAO!

1964 works pretty damn good for me, cept it makes my computer think a lot more than other n64 emus (pj 64 is almost instant emulation) does anyone else have this prob

and cooliscool ur probably gettin excellent framerates cuz of your geforce 4 ;)

Stez

Snake785

Prepare for Descent.
the only problem with 1964 that I had was that it gave me a blue screen in XP but I think that was because I unchecked something in the RSP plugin and then when I ran a game it gave me a blue screen. but other than that 1964 has been stable for me (i'm using 0.8.3, I'm too lazy to go back to 0.7.3 :p). :)

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
crhylove said:

rhy

lame ass :plain2:

In regards to the beta, it's as fast for me + 32bit mode (doesn't work on zelda though) but works in games like ssb an has quite a hefty fps boost.

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Stezo2k said:
crhylove said:

rhy

LMFAO!

1964 works pretty damn good for me, cept it makes my computer think a lot more than other n64 emus (pj 64 is almost instant emulation) does anyone else have this prob

and cooliscool ur probably gettin excellent framerates cuz of your geforce 4 ;)

Stez

I think 1964 has a higher process priority making it IMPOSSIBLE to multitask. You'd probably need a monster computer to multitask with 1964, but i am willing to sacrifice that for such wonderful emulation (speed and sound is so close to the real n64 you can feel it, plus, it's damn cool playing n64 games with tv-out and a huge dolby surround system). :)

Natus

cooliscool said:
crhylove said:

rhy

lame ass :plain2:

In regards to the beta, it's as fast for me + 32bit mode (doesn't work on zelda though) but works in games like ssb an has quite a hefty fps boost.

and you felt you needed to take the piss out of him because??

lamer.

hotshitu

Banned
crhylove said:

rhy

Haha. My thoughts exactly ('cept I don't have a 1.2 GHzie). :D

Seriously, you can't make an application run fast enough as long as it entails increased stability, means more headroom for all that DivX-Pron crunching in the back. Well, not really. :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.