What's new

which of these emus are now useless for most users?

Which of these emulators are _currently_ useless for the _majority_ of users?

• Corn

Votes: 43 76.8%
  • Daedalus

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • Nemu

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • TR64

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • UltraHLE

Votes: 26 46.4%

• Total voters

Prodrom

Just my opinion

I don' t see why you should take some Emus off your site. I used to come to your site to read the news(you were doing a very nice work a few time ago), but now I use your site as a library of Nin64 Emus. As for the ones who ask questions like "Who the F*** uses Corn or Nemu...", I should say that on Nemu64 7.0a, I play with my two sisters perfectly Mario Kart and on Corn I play perfectly Mario64(I haven 't seen a better emulation on this game by any other emulator and believe me I have tried them all with all possible configurations). The fact is that I have a real low-end PC {Celeron@600 - 128Mb SDRAM PC100 - ATi Rage 128 - DFi CA61 _ VIA Chipset conf with WPCredit} and for us that don 't have a Pentium 10 at 10000000000 Mhz or an Atlhon 700000000+ PR :D, the best solution, a mix-up of all emus, meaning that for 5 games Nemu is the best, for other 5 games Corn is the best and for the other 3 SupraHLE is the best... etc. So please do not "spoil" your site by removing all these projects for which some people "shed their blood". On the contrary I believe that you should update the Emu Sections more oftenly(I mean the inis, patches etc). Sorry for all the non-stop talking,
Friendly Prodrom. :pj64:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
What I would say is probably...

Well, UltraHLE, NEVER used it for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.
Corn... well, I used this to play Mario on a low-end computer, but no more.
Nemu - real good one. Good compability at low specs. Still not so good, as I use better emulators before this one.
Deadalus - it has low compability yet, which isn't rather good, but I'm sure the next release will be good as the authors is working on it.
1964 - Probably next after pj, though I haven't used it much since of its bugs and lack of the RSP, which it has now.
Pj - Probably the best emulator out there. It has the features of 1964, and since speed is no issue, I can use it since it has other nice features as gameshark activator support and a better cheat dialog system.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Re: Just my opinion

Prodrom said:
I don' t see why you should take some Emus off your site. I used to come to your site to read the news(you were doing a very nice work a few time ago), but now I use your site as a library of Nin64 Emus. As for the ones who ask questions like "Who the F*** uses Corn or Nemu...", I should say that on Nemu64 7.0a, I play with my two sisters perfectly Mario Kart and on Corn I play perfectly Mario64(I haven 't seen a better emulation on this game by any other emulator and believe me I have tried them all with all possible configurations). The fact is that I have a real low-end PC {Celeron@600 - 128Mb SDRAM PC100 - ATi Rage 128 - DFi CA61 _ VIA Chipset conf with WPCredit} and for us that don 't have a Pentium 10 at 10000000000 Mhz or an Atlhon 700000000+ PR :D, the best solution, a mix-up of all emus, meaning that for 5 games Nemu is the best, for other 5 games Corn is the best and for the other 3 SupraHLE is the best... etc. So please do not "spoil" your site by removing all these projects for which some people "shed their blood". On the contrary I believe that you should update the Emu Sections more oftenly(I mean the inis, patches etc). Sorry for all the non-stop talking,
Friendly Prodrom. :pj64:

hmm ok well thanks for the honesty.. umm not sure what to do eheh :p

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Prodrom, can I just ask why you prefer Nemu for Mario Kart rather than PJ64/1964.. also Doomulation, you say Nemu is good for low specs, but in my experience it's slower than PJ64 and much slower than 1964 - ?

flow``

flow``
Nemu - real good one. Good compability at low specs. Still not so good, as I use better emulators before this one.
that is very incorrect...

i remember hearing lemmy say with the newer drivers by nvidia, the emu only got slower and slower. plus you have to remember it was designed around drivers a few years old now..

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ok i have one way of organising things

"A-list": "useful to most" (1964, PJ64)
"B-list": "special cases" (Corn,Daedalus,Nemu,TR64,UltraHLE)
"C-list": "enthusiasts" (Apollo, TRwin,...)

with decreasing amount of coverage

kinda like celebrities :colgate:

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
odd that most people say "bye" to Corn, it's one that i can see a definate use for (i.e. Mario and a few other games on a slow machine). UltraHLE can probably go as soon as Glide64 supports everything it does (maybe already?). The others are hard to say cos they have higher compat.

Prodrom

A question & an answer...

What is Glide64? I use SupraHLE v1.1.2 with its configurator v1.1.1 & eVoodoo XP or XGL 200 v0.04a instead of UltraHLE.

P.S. I don 't know if Project64 is faster than Nemu(Probably true), but with a low specs PC you never know. I have tried each game that I like in every emu, so that by now I know how & when I can use each emulator. I don 't know why Nemu gives better results in Mario Kart 64 when it is being played by 3 or 4 players at the same time, but it is a fact so...

Martin

Administrator
Smiff said:
odd that most people say "bye" to Corn, it's one that i can see a definate use for (i.e. Mario and a few other games on a slow machine). UltraHLE can probably go as soon as Glide64 supports everything it does (maybe already?). The others are hard to say cos they have higher compat.

That could mean that people are using machines that are fast enough for pj64/1964/apollo now. I know I am. :)

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Glide64 is a Glide plugin for Project64 compatible emus (Project64, 1964 and others) - I say UltraHLE can go because AFAIK 1964+Glide64 will be better in every way than UltraHLE... anyone think otherwise?

Duncan

N64 Addict
I agree Smiff, and i get what your tryin to say/do, you just want to support the most commonly used emus that most users would come to the site to find info on. UltraHLE and Corn must go, keep the rest, as emulation has improved way beyond them and dont look like they will ever be continued, secondly more people now a days have better PC's than before :)

Eagle

aka Alshain
No offense to the authors, but i find all those listed useless (at least until/if they have a new release).

Prodrom

I 'm afraid I 'll insist

I 'm afraid I 'll have to insist. Most of people(At least here in Greece where hardware is a bit more expensive because of the lack of competition) still have CPUs under 1 GHz. And for us Corn, Nemu & SupraHLE are a must. I 'll give you an example. In Project64 Zelda "The Ocarina of Time" gives me a headache and that 's because Link & everyone else appears to wear white clothing. There are two ways to solve this. The first one is to throw my ATi Rage 128 to the garbage(But I don 't have enough money to buy another Gfx) & the second one is to use SupraHLE which goes almost fullspeed for me(22 Fps when fullspeed is 25 in the Pal version of the rom) and with almost no problems. A nice thing to do is to create a 2 links of Nin64 Emus in your site. On the first you would put 1964 - Project64 etc and on the second(& less fancy one) you would put the "older emus" or the discontinued projects.

But in the end this is your site & you should do whatever you think that would be more properly for it.;)

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Curious, Why remove any?

I thought the basis for your site was to have tons of info on N64 emulation.

Is that incorrect?

Also most of the emulators and the information you have online should only take a small amount of space.

Why not create a new section like "Old N64 Emulators" and just archive them there with a note that says you will not update with any new information.

It would allow your site to get cleaned up a bit and still retain the old ones for those who still need them or info.

or You can just do what ya like, cause it's your site ;)

Eddy

I Run This
Well, smiff, i like this topic.

UltraHLE is the most useless, with glide64 + 1964, uHLE is practically useless.

Nemu .7a has to go, i mean, its slow, clunky, crashes, wait for a new version

trwin/tr64 have to stay, they are breakthroughs, and tr64 is still being updated

Apollo, and daedalus are going to be the more progressing emus in the upcoming years if the authors decide to continue it.

1964's new version (which i thought was really something) has real good timing, sync, and speed, pj has nothing but GUI on it, and so far, pj is the most complete.

What im trying to say they are all good, just make some sort of NIN64 History Museum, where you have old emus that have been discontinued/useless/expired/you get the point :)

flow``

flow``
*shrugs*

i really dont like comparisions between pj64/1964 but we won't go there.. thats a big debate over zilmar's specs and such

./keeps mouth closesd

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah i didn't ask for a comparison between 1964/PJ64, it's pretty stupid when about everyone using '1964' is using half of Project64 (graphics, RSP, maybe audio and input aswell).. i'm more interested in:

"trwin/tr64 have to stay, they are breakthroughs, and tr64 is still being updated"

can you give some examples of uses for TRwin/TR64?

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Re: I 'm afraid I 'll insist

Prodrom said:
I 'm afraid I 'll have to insist. Most of people(At least here in Greece where hardware is a bit more expensive because of the lack of competition) still have CPUs under 1 GHz. And for us Corn, Nemu & SupraHLE are a must. I 'll give you an example. In Project64 Zelda "The Ocarina of Time" gives me a headache and that 's because Link & everyone else appears to wear white clothing. There are two ways to solve this. The first one is to throw my ATi Rage 128 to the garbage(But I don 't have enough money to buy another Gfx) & the second one is to use SupraHLE which goes almost fullspeed for me(22 Fps when fullspeed is 25 in the Pal version of the rom) and with almost no problems. A nice thing to do is to create a 2 links of Nin64 Emus in your site. On the first you would put 1964 - Project64 etc and on the second(& less fancy one) you would put the "older emus" or the discontinued projects.

But in the end this is your site & you should do whatever you think that would be more properly for it.;)

yeah i'm just wondering if even peopple with slower PCs would be better served by newer emus like 1964... have you really tried to get some performance out of the more advanced emus? Have you tried using different plugins, glide wrappers etc.? Or are you just assuming they'll be too slow?