What's new

Which core should I use?

The Fallen

Newbie signing in!

I think I have grasped the N64 emu plugin concept quite well, but there's one thing that still confuses me. Does it make a difference if I for example use all 3 Jabo's plugins in PJ64 compared to using (all of) them in 1964? Does the emulator's core (is that what it's called? sounds sensible to me) have any effect on the actual performance of the plugins (put aside the evident differences, such as the different features accessible thru menus)?

Oh, and by the way (slightly off-topic) - I'm just curious how Mario 64 and Zelda: OoT perform on other people's systems using glNintendo64(). I get shading errors (some character textures are too dark), but I can't see any on the screenshots, so I wonder if that has anything to do with the "better Radeon support" Orkin plans to add. (/me has a R9000 pro)

By the way, great community.

Thanks for any answers!

-The Fallen

1964 is 25% faster than PJ64, but "might" have other problems with the compatibility, so use PJ64 for the faster computers (like yours), and 1964 for the slower ones.

And Radeon 9k or newer Radeon-cards are known to have problems with N64 emulation. The best way to fix these problems is using the newest Cataclyst-drivers (at this moment 3.2).

Good luck!

Last edited:

Allnatural

Well, zilmar-spec emulators are designed to play nice with zilmar-spec plugins, so you won't lose any functionality choosing one emulator over another. The one exception is Jabo's audio plugin, which doesn't work in the latest 1964.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
1964 is just as compatibile as PJ64 is. (talking rom compatibility)

And actually has less issues with some games than pj64 has, for example Banjo-Kazooie's cutscenes end too quickly in banjo-kazooie in pj64, and if my memory serves me the camera doesn't shake all the time in 1964.

The core is what controls the plugins actully, without the core the video, sound and input would be useless... think of your sound and video cards with mouse and keyboard, without the rest of the computer it would never work...

Plugin-wise it'll support almost all plugins but not Jabos Sound ones since they cause unstability, Azimers plugins are equal anyway.

Radeon 9000... known problem, orkin uses a nvidia card so its difficult for him to fix those issues, and newer drivers could work.

scotty

The Great One
Project 64 is more stable on many of the games. Some games where there is slowness, then you use 1964. Until Schibo and Rice release their new version of 1964, which should have been May 5th, but Schibo (the main coder) has been busy with school, when it becomes a fun thing and less an obligation; He'll come out and post it.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I disagree, 1964 is solid as a rock for me, more so than pj64. its a matter of preference, I just prefer 1964...