What's new

what's the best way to get a tiny speed boost?

-K7-

As much as i've read and tinkered, PJ64 seems to run about the same no matter what i set it too, and I'm curious to know if there's anything i can do to get about 10% more out of it. 320x240 seems to run exactly the same speed as 1024x768, and triple buffering is going the same speed as transfer memory. I always run in 16-bit color and full screen, and i do everything the Game-FAQ suggests before i start. Although older games like Mario 64 run full speed, most of the newer ones have sections where the game runs about 85% of the norm. I notice the problem most when playing Mario Party.

All the things that would usually increase performance aren't working; is there anything else i can try? I'm using Jabo's D3D6 1.5, Jabo's Directsound 1.5, and N-rage's DI8 v2 1.81a on PJ64 1.5.

System Specs:
AthlonXP 1800
256mb DDR
Radeon 64DDR VIVO
Sound Blaster Live! Value
WinXP Pro

jollyrancher

Your computer's not that bad... maybe try changing the video drivers especially if it's a new computer... made a big difference for me... I get just about all games at 100%... just realize that the N64 itself has fps issues... and pj64 is not about overclocking.... for example I get these bizarre problems with 1964 emulator 'cause it's overclocked or something... maybe it could be faster for you... don't want to start some stupid flaming war so keep your holes shut!

Rimmer

"Know you enemy"
I can't run Perfect Dark or Golden Eye (even slower than PD) at full speed (well, mostly at full speed but with several slowdowns) when playing 3-4players and these are my specs:

AMD XP2000+ (running at 1,74GHz)
256MB DDR PC2100 CL2
Radeon8500LE 128MB (275/550)
ASUS A7S333
WinXP PRO

9000 3D Marks

OP
K

-K7-

Along those lines, when Mario Party made my system reboot at the exact same point in one mini game, Windows told me my ATI drivers were the cause and that I needed an update, which it gave me the link to (ati.com, duh).

I'll be trying ATI's Catalyst 3.0, which will hopefully work. I couldn't get 2.x to install, period. I'm also downloading DX9; has anyone here used it to know if it's a bomb or not? I didn't have any of the problems most people had with SP1, so hopefully this will be hassle-free.

Trotterwatch

I'm currently using a Radeon 8500 with DX9 and the latest Catalyst drivers with good results. A lot of games have improved (due to the drivers), stability also seems to be good.

Make sure you make a restore point before installing though just in case, you may also wish to try looking at:

http://www.rage3d.com/board

To get some more feedback on the drivers.

OP
K

-K7-

I've been looking through everything, I know i've seen it somewhere, but where is the rollback stuff again? I've found where you say how much drive space to give it, but not the actual rollback window.

Trotterwatch

It's in Device manager - if you go to the item you want to update, then properties (the the last tab, the Rollback option is there)

OP
K

-K7-

So the rollback point is created automatically? I'm guessing that rolling back my display card will also return the machine to DX8.1?

OP
K

-K7-

Well, DX9 went through without a catch, but the new Catalyst 3.0 messed up just like all Catalyst software has on mine for some reason. At least I think it did. When windows restarted it simply few new hardware, found no drivers anywhere for it, even in the folder they were supposedly in, and then told me the installation was bad. It put a second Radeon 7200 and an unknown device in my Device Manager as a consolation prize.

Everything still works exactly the same as before I did all this though, so i'm not sure if it is a bad install or not. PJ64 is still going exactly the same speed it was before I did all this, hanging around 49fps the whole way but making the games just slow enough to be noticeably wrong. Arg. Why can't this be easy...

It's about time break the bank for a 9700 if this keeps up...

OP
K

-K7-

Tried to run a Catalyst 3.0 Screen saver, Bacteria. Got this:

//=====================================================
// ATI Sushi Error Log Created 12/28/2002 6:17 pm
//=====================================================
[AwFn.cpp] (line 711): D3DAw Error: AwInitWindow - Vertex processing unavailable
[Main.cpp] (line 520): AwInitWindow returned FALSE! Unable to create window! Quitting!

I'm about to go play solitaire on the 386 upstairs. Seriously.

Acorn

Eh, typical ATI? You have to fiddle with their drivers a bit, and uninstall yer old ones before you even try to put new ones on. If ya buy a new card go for a Geforce.

Trotterwatch

Tried to run a Catalyst 3.0 Screen saver, Bacteria. Got this:

Pretty sure the error was because that screen saver is for Radeon 9700 cards only.

As for the other errors go to the link I gave you earlier, there is someone who gives a full guide on how to completely remove older drivers. Though to be honest I never removed the older ones on this computer, and it all went smoothly... just the luck of the draw really.

OP
K

-K7-

You're probably right, I didn't see "9700" until I looked at the icon it placed on my desktop. Too bad I mentioned that in my tech plea to ATI, they'll probably see that problem as an easy one to address and forget the real one... I wonder if it really was installed right all along? (this never would have happened with my Voodoo3)

OP
K

-K7-

dumb luck

I solved the problems. Somehow. I think.

Not sure why, but now that I totally messed up my video card install, PJ64 runs perfectly with almost every game we play. Don't know whether to recommend this, but what I have here is a mix and match of 6 month old ATI software, Microsoft's default ATI software, and just the few Catalyst drivers that were copied before the installer crashed every time. Rollback doesn't work right, but the emu sure as hell does.

Every game is getting 60-150 fps (except the messed up slow areas in some), and all the old graphics bugs like the the messed up sprites in Smash Bros. and flickering problems are now gone. The sound doesn't even pop when the game loads stuff. Woohoo. To top that, Jabo's 1.5 isn't causing that lag anymore so i'm still using it. I really forget that i'm using an emulator, except for my having no analog stick.

I'm mystified but I won't complain. Should I go ahead and try to fix my Catalyst 3.0 install? Afterall, ATI might really answer their email and help me (although i'm not betting on it).