What's new

Whats A Good Video Card?

NeoNight

scotty said:
I think that GeForces are better for N64 emulation because it is what Jabo and Rice use, and they are the authors of the 2 best plugins.

It would be best to get a GeForce4 and above depending on exactly how much you want to spend. Make sure that your Processor is fast enough, Video is one thing, but you have to have a decent processor as well (1.3 Ghz should run almost all games).

you haven't tired orkins latest plugin have you? :borg:

for whats said above about geforces vs radeons I think the game your playing makes a difference when it comes to benchmarks.

Last edited:

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Tagrineth said:
LOL, it's just gamma correction. Even 3dfx had that. Hell, even S3 had that.

Wrong. There is a gamma correction slider which is seperate from the "image sharpening" slider. Gamma correction doesn't sharpen. It makes things brighter. The image sharpening slider actually works sorta like a Full SCreen LOD bias(it doesn't brighten at all like gamma correction). Sharpening up blurry objects close/far very well when used in conjunction with FSAA. It works on everything onscreen. Desktop, 2d, 3d. With no performance hit that I can see. It's a cool driver option IMO.

For someone who seems to know a lot about video cards, you sure jump to some strange conclusions.

Last edited:

ray16

The Grand Potatomaster
If you want a card to be able to play future games for a good price, then go with ATI. nVidia's GeForce FX series has horrible Pixel Shader 2.0 performance, and just overall bad DirectX 9 performance when compared to the Radeon 9xxx series.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
ray16 said:
If you want a card to be able to play future games for a good price, then go with ATI. nVidia's GeForce FX series has horrible Pixel Shader 2.0 performance, and just overall bad DirectX 9 performance when compared to the Radeon 9xxx series.

If you want a card to play future dx9 games, wait for the next cards from ATi or Nvidia when there are a lot more dx9 games. If you want to play almost every game right now, an Ati 9500-9800 or ti4200-fx5900 will do fine. If you want to play N64/PSx emulators, Nvidia cards are more compatible with more driver options. If you still like to play your older PC games, Nvidia cards generally work better with them.

ray16

The Grand Potatomaster
Well, whatever. When you can't play Halo, DOOM III, and Half-Life 2 don't start crying.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
ray16 said:
Well, whatever. When you can't play Halo, DOOM III, and Half-Life 2 don't start crying.

Haha. Doom 3 runs fine on Fx cards. I'm not much of a FPS fan anyways. More into Emulation. I also play a lot of PC games, but all of them are dx7/dx8. Which runs more than fine on my card. If and when there are enough dx9 games to warrant my attention, I'll take a look at the video card offerings from ATi or Nvidia again. So I guess I'll be better off than you then eh. :D

And right now, my psx/n64 emulators work perfectly. The PC games I'm playing right now are running excellently.

loleoc

fivefeet8 said:
Haha. Doom 3 runs fine on Fx cards. I'm not much of a FPS fan anyways. More into Emulation. I also play a lot of PC games, but all of them are dx7/dx8. Which runs more than fine on my card. If and when there are enough dx9 games to warrant my attention, I'll take a look at the video card offerings from ATi or Nvidia again. So I guess I'll be better off than you then eh. :D

And right now, my psx/n64 emulators work perfectly. The PC games I'm playing right now are running excellently.

With this super specs all games will run fast, with any video card... :ermm:

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
May I suggest not getting a Sapphire card. I've had nothing but trouble from it since I've bought it. Sapphire is a hassle to deal with as far as returns are concerned, hell, as far as anything is concerned. I'm switching to nVidia and never turning back.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
fivefeet8 said:
Wrong. There is a gamma correction slider which is seperate from the "image sharpening" slider. Gamma correction doesn't sharpen. It makes things brighter. The image sharpening slider actually works sorta like a Full SCreen LOD bias(it doesn't brighten at all like gamma correction). Sharpening up blurry objects close/far very well when used in conjunction with FSAA. It works on everything onscreen. Desktop, 2d, 3d. With no performance hit that I can see. It's a cool driver option IMO.

For someone who seems to know a lot about video cards, you sure jump to some strange conclusions.

I based my opinion on the SCREENSHOTS. That's what it looked like to me. Sorry for the confusion.

And sharpening textures has a downside - you introduce this thing called 'shimmering' to the image which I personally find insanely annoying in all cases. In which case you want to enable AA/AF to fix that... and lower performance, and HEY, YOU'RE RIGHT BACK WHERE YOU STARTED but with lower FPS.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Tagrineth said:
And sharpening textures has a downside - you introduce this thing called 'shimmering' to the image which I personally find insanely annoying in all cases. In which case you want to enable AA/AF to fix that... and lower performance, and HEY, YOU'RE RIGHT BACK WHERE YOU STARTED but with lower FPS.

Yes. But that's why it's a slider. I find that the "Image sharpening" slider, not texture sharpening, sharpens the blurryness cause by FSAA. That's why I use it in conjuntion with FSAA. Giving the benefits of both AA and less texture blurring.

pandamoan

Banned
fivefeet8 said:
Yes. But that's why it's a slider. I find that the "Image sharpening" slider, not texture sharpening, sharpens the blurryness cause by FSAA. That's why I use it in conjuntion with FSAA. Giving the benefits of both AA and less texture blurring.

i don't use much of any of those options, i just run 1964 clean at 1600x1200x32bit.

it looks damn good even on an old geforce2mx!!

but i may upgrade soon so i can play the next version of q2max. >:D

i am an fps fan.

jamie

Stezo2k

S-2K
you should of bought something better than a geforce 2 mate, Ati is the way period. Though nvidia aint bad

Hyper19s

Banned
Stezo2k said:
you should of bought something better than a geforce 2 mate, Ati is the way period. Though nvidia aint bad

well they both seem about the same dont they?
radeons and geforces always fighting but they
both have they ups and downs now!! :king:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
fivefeet8 said:

AA DOES NOT BLUR. 'kay thanks. Unless you're using either Quincunx or "9-tap" 4x. That or maybe nVidia's AA sucks even more than I was already aware. That "blur", by the way, is better combatted by using Anisotropic Filtering... but make sure you use "Quality", not performance and ESPECIALLY not High Performance if you have a GF FX.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Tagrineth said:
AA DOES NOT BLUR. 'kay thanks. Unless you're using either Quincunx or "9-tap" 4x. That or maybe nVidia's AA sucks even more than I was already aware. That "blur", by the way, is better combatted by using Anisotropic Filtering... but make sure you use "Quality", not performance and ESPECIALLY not High Performance if you have a GF FX.

Really. Show me a comparitive shot of a PC game without AA and with AA. I'd like to compare them. And yes, I always use quality settings. Anistropic filtering does sharpen textures as well, but not to the level of the "image sharpening" option.

NeoNight

Will a geforce fx 5200 (ill be getting it for $60) be good with my setup? see below this message for details... am not willing to spend over 60 for a new card lol