What's new

What system should i even attempt to emulator for a n00b

Talas

Son of the Sky
:cry: Oh my god, the only programming skills I ever aquired were BASIC on the good ol C64, Logal in school and some Cobal. Am I beyond hope. :happy:

Ah well, I am also trying right now to get some exp in C++. Which one can you recommend? Microsoft? Borland? Any others?

Slougi

I recommend you start with C, not C++ :)

As to the compiler, for windows I suggest djgpp. It's a port of gcc, so it is completely free :)

spekkio

programmer's advice... skip C
why? read bjarne's book.

C++ is object oriented.
Learning C will make C++ harder to learn.

:D

GuestX

spekkio said:

bullshit.
Yes, he can learn C++, but learning C does not
make C++ harder than C++ from the beginning.

some functions are completely different from C to C++,
but if he learns C first, he knows a lot C++. (functions, preprocessor etc..(lol)).

But that's not my problem. ^_^

Cyberman

euphoria said:
Does C support threading? Or is it only available on C++?
Yes it's supported in C, it's just a lot more work to use in C.
C++ does a lot of 'ground' work automatically when you create an object etc. Linux supports threads, and the OS is written in C, so I would say, yes you can support threads in C.

I'll have to look up the win32 API calls to do this in Windoze to get the gory details though.

Originally posted by spekkio
programmer's advice... skip C
why? read bjarne's book.

C++ is object oriented.
:D

Ummm yeah.. Actually I did that, and well sorry I didn't find C++ that hard to learn. One does get tired of the endless deluge of terms though! :)

Cyb

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Xeven said:
I wouldnt suggest VB at all, in fact i'd say avoid it as much as possible if you have no prior experience at programming. You'll end up learning lots of very bad programming habits. I guess Dijkstra said it best: It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. :p

Hell... I started programming In Commodore 64 BASIC... anything is possible. :p

Oh, and hi, Xeven. :D

scotty

The Great One
I often think about programming myself, but I dont think id be successful, unless I hack another emulators core and application extensions. I respect copyright laws in that manner, I dont use other peoples ideas for profit.

euphoria

Emutalk Member
scotty said:
I often think about programming myself, but I dont think id be successful, unless I hack another emulators core and application extensions. I respect copyright laws in that manner, I dont use other peoples ideas for profit.
If we're talking about emulation then i don't think you'll profit anything, financially that is. :)
But how i think it is that open source emus are great when you have a question and you can look for an implementation method or answer to your problem.
But open source isn't for taking the answers and then trying to figure out the question.
And programming is pretty much just gathering pieces from everywhere and combining them to something new or better. Not that many coders make something completely new.

ector

Emulator Developer
The first system I emulated was the Chip8.. it's a bytecode from the 70's/80's kinda like java but much more primitive :)

it's very very easy compared to practically all other systems but is a nice little introduction to emulation. If you are able to emulate the Chip8 you can take on more complex machines. I suggest everyone who can code but have never programmed an emulator to give it a shot since it's such a kick seeing little games like pong and pacman running inside your program :)

here's all documentation you need:
http://www.goldroad.co.uk/ (click Emulation in the menu, then "A simple project to try" to the right)
It's a long tutorial about emulating the chip8, and at the very end is a link to documentation. there's some additional documentation and game roms (all of them 100% free and legal) that can be found through googling too. for example here's a handy opcode table:
http://members.aol.com/autismuk/chip8/chip8def.htm (nice table of all opcodes)

You can use any programming language to code a chip8 emulator, VB will be fine since almost no performance is required :) (though I personally would recommend C/C++, C# or Java or similar since bitwise operations like shifts are more elegant)

Have fun!

Last edited:

GuestX

yeah, the goldroad... :)
It explains the interpreter and dynamic recompiler quite good
for n00bs. VB is bullshit in emulation. Java is very slow also...
C/C++ and Delphi are for Emulation the best choises. But for
the chip8 one is Java ok.

ector

Emulator Developer
actually, even qbasic would probably be fine to program a chip8 emulator in since chip8 is so extremely simple and requires almost zero power. that said, a "real" language is of course better..

ShadowPrince

Yes,Qbasic will be just fine for Chip 8.
There are even Chip8 emulator written in JavaScript ,running fullspeed+ on my machine easily . Probably the only emulator ,written in scripting language .

GuestX

ector said:
actually, even qbasic would probably be fine to program a chip8 emulator in since chip8 is so extremely simple and requires almost zero power. that said, a "real" language is of course better..

erm... Its not the language, its the compiler :D
I know you meant that. :)