What's new

What is this? Framerate kinda question about games

loopsider

When I played John Romeros Daikatana i was amazed that it felt like a playstation 2's framerate. it felt like 120 fps but at 60, it was like playing a recent computer game. why werent other 64 games made like this? when you play golden eye or something similar you can turn it up 120 fps and its smooth but when you slow it down you realize how choppy it is. but daikatana is smooth like goldeneye 120fps but its at 60 fps...whats up with that.

Last edited:

Allnatural

I suppose some games taxed the system more, and had to be run slower so as to maintain a consistent framerate. It's not unlike the PS2. Some games (Prince of Persia, to name one) run at only 30fps.

OP
L

loopsider

Allnatural said:
I suppose some games taxed the system more, and had to be run slower so as to maintain a consistent framerate. It's not unlike the PS2. Some games (Prince of Persia, to name one) run at only 30fps.

interesting, daikatana is pretty visually impressive for 64, are there any other games that run at a really good framerate.

(goldeneye runs at 60 fps in pj64 as does daikatana, does that framerate only tell you in terms of computer processing?)

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
FPS in pj is actually VI/S (vertical interrupts a second) not true FPS. For example, Zelda runs at 20 true FPS, while F-Zero X runs at a true 60FPS.