What's new

What is an .rar file?

Bulldog

what the heck is .rar file? I downloaded MK Mythologies and it comes out as an .rar file and i cant play it using Project 64. What is the problem?

OP
B

Bulldog

Thanks Trotterwatch.

Since i am not at all familiar with this program, how do i use to make MK Mythologies playable on PJ 64?

Trotterwatch

iq_132, does Ultimatezip unzip files that have been compressed using the latest Winrar? I have powerarchiver which can extract .rar files - but the version I have doesn't work properly with anything rar'ed with the latest Winrar.

DarkKnight38

The original
Bulldog said:
Thanks Trotterwatch.

Since i am not at all familiar with this program, how do i use to make MK Mythologies playable on PJ 64?
Rar files are a lot like zip files, they both are compressed archives. Except most emulators can't read games inside of rar files, so you'll have to extract the game from the rar file using winrar, like it was previously stated by trotterwatch. After that, you should have a n64 rom readable by project 64.

ShadowFX

Guardian
But some emulators do read .zip files these days, like ZSNES... a SNES emulator.

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah we talked about this and decided that .rar would be too slow even if implemented, so zip it is. zip is fast, free and reasonably good compression, so it suits us perfectly.