What happened to Corn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNES_IT

PJ64

CpU MasteR said:

Corn Nuts? ???
:pj64: PJ64 IS THE BEST EMULATOR WITH YOUR PC SPECS IT SHOULD RUN GREAT :pj64:

I have a AMD Xp 1600 (which runs at 1.44gh)
256mb ddr ram
geforce 2 card
with Win98

and it runs 007 fine maybe even better than the n64 could do it self, I was amazed as i was told i would not be able to run it with my computer and PJ64 so fingers up to the people who said that,

:pj64: PJ64 A THANK YOU :pj64:

eat_sleep_play

hey, chill out u project64 feen, this is a thread about corn, not ur damn pj64 emu. most of us in here can't run that stinkin emulator. be happy that u can and leave us alone! sheesh!

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
ya, pj64 is for the higher spec computers. Corn was (is) the emu that lets people play with lesser spec then yours (1.44Ghz!). It is sad that Corn was discontinued.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
nah, 1964 for low specs...unless of course ur on a pentium 166 or something...in that case dont expect to play much in emulation other than maybe gbx...well maybe not gbx...anon-fake gameboy emu instead. corn was good for mario64. i still think 1964 can be as fast at times.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Pj is a good emu. 1964 as well, and very fast, much faster than pj. It's just that jabo's plugin steal all the speed :(
And it is very :( that corn was discontinued... it could run Mario64 at full speed on a 300 MHz Celeron on 32 mb ram!!!!!!!!!! What about that!!?!?!?!

Musashi

Blue
Corn was EXCELLENT! It was my first emulator (my first!) back when it was just released. It's too bad it was discontinued. It could definitely become the best (it just doesn't have good compatibility).

Rest in peace, my dear emulator.

B

Blade64

There are a number of options!
1 Do you think contraSF is probably working on it privately?
2 I hope he is in good health and that nothing has happened
3 The way corn was coded was very tough to make compatible so he may have thought it too much work

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Doomulation said:

Jabo's plugin is slow. That's what makes the emulation so slow in games. That's what he means.

i dont know the technical details, but thats probably not always true. it varies from computer to computer.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
pj64er said:

i dont know the technical details, but thats probably not always true. it varies from computer to computer.
Well, it's the plugin which emulates and shows the graphics, isn't it? That takes pretty long time.

Engeljaeger

professional pessimist
Well...
So...isn´t anybody in contact witrh this SFContra-Guy? ???
And whats with that hacking you talk about?
Is it like cracking the source code for continuing Corn , or what?

Glurak

ex_megalink2000 said:
Can anybody tell me, what makes Corn so fast?? It could be use as a reference for other emulators.

afaik corn uses static recompilation... that makes it so fast =)

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Doomulation said:

Well, it's the plugin which emulates and shows the graphics, isn't it? That takes pretty long time.

the core passes information to the plugins, if the core is slow, everything slows down. however, if the gfx plugin is slow, only it is slow, doesnt drag anything along with it. this explains the function of 'enable video speed sync' in 1964.

Rice

Emulator Developer
The option "Enable video speed sync" is actually speed limiter, to limit the VI count to 50(PAL)/60(NTSC) per second if the emu is running to fast. Of course if the emu is running slower than 50/60, it does nothing.

To see the speed of core, video, audio and others in 1964, you can do it by turning of the option "Display CPU usage on status bar" in 1964's preference dialog. Then you can compare the CPU usage of core, video and audio plugins.

Jabo's DirectX plugins are the best, but for some games, it is running slow. You should be able to see it in the status bar. For such games, graphics plugins is using much higher CPU than emu core, for example the core is using ~20% CPU, and graphics is running ~75% of CPU. Then emu can not run at full speed no matter how fast the core can run, because graphics is slowing the whole thing down. PJ64 also has CPU usage displays, but Corn does not have a status bar.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
ok, so it activates/deactivates the speed limiter setting in "game setting"?

and ok, i stand corrected.

Rice

Emulator Developer
Yes, it activates speed limiter. If it is enabled, AND the speed limiter is set in game setting, then speed limiter will work. If it is disabled, OR speed limiter is not set in game setting, speed limiter will not work.

So speed limiter in 1964 is controlled by two levels, at game setting level per game, and at emu level by this menu option.

Status
Not open for further replies.