What's new

What graphics card best plays rom games etc....

gokuss4

Meh...
lol, everyone should know that. an Nvidia Geforce 2 MX400 64MB AGP4X costs about $78 thats cheap for that card, for the best one but not affordable its the geforce 3 Ti500

clock speed: 250mhz/256-bit
operations per sec: 960 billion
memory bandwidth: 8.0GHZ

thats all you need to know and it costs around $300 or more.

Moonlight

By Smiff's definition, "shit" is anything non-GeForce.

Since that's probably what he and Jabo have to code PJ64 on, if you're planning to buy a vidcard in large part to run PJ64, you should make it a GF.

If you don't want a GF, the next most likely to work things are ATI's Radeons. Anything else and you're totally on your own.

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
Geforce 2 gts alll the way

i have a Geforce 2 gts and it runs great on current emu's its a 32 mb wish it was 64 but eh its good :pj64: :cool:

Slougi

Moonlight said:

Since that's probably what he and Jabo have to code PJ64 on, if you're planning to buy a vidcard in large part to run PJ64, you should make it a GF.

If you don't want a GF, the next most likely to work things are ATI's Radeons. Anything else and you're totally on your own.
Umm Smiff doesn't code....
Zilmar: PJ64 core & basic audio plug-in
Jabo: gfx, sound & input plug-in
:pj64:

Moonlight

Humm...

... well, now that school's over 'till next year, I should have some time to check who's doing exactly what - the last four months have been tougher than I expected.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Moonlight said:

Im tempted to ban you for not being able to read (you shouldnt use a forum if you can't read, it causes this unpleasantness). I made it very f***ing clear that "shit" does not mean "non-GeForce". The GF just happened to be the first card on the market that is not shit in all the ways relevant to this forum... there are now at least two major lines of non-shit cards, the GF series and the Radeon series, in the future there will of course be more.

Moonlight

Who the third non-shit line could possibly come from? 3dfx is dead, Matrox pretty much gave up, S3 is playing catch-up, Trident isn't trying seriously at all and Intel retired. On the integrated front, most just borrow someone else's graphics core and that domain is being invaded by ATI and nVidia.

This doesn't leave many roads open for the future unless one of the graphics companies has something incredible in reserve.

Compared to nVidia and ATI, everything else leaves the impression of being mere dust particles and it's not about to get easier on the small guys anytime soon.

Huzza

err hello?
Save up and get a geforce 3 its well worth it or wait for the geforce 3 mx which should be coming out soon lets hope.

Slougi

Moonlight said:
Who the third non-shit line could possibly come from? 3dfx is dead, Matrox pretty much gave up, S3 is playing catch-up, Trident isn't trying seriously at all and Intel retired. On the integrated front, most just borrow someone else's graphics core and that domain is being invaded by ATI and nVidia.

This doesn't leave many roads open for the future unless one of the graphics companies has something incredible in reserve.

Compared to nVidia and ATI, everything else leaves the impression of being mere dust particles and it's not about to get easier on the small guys anytime soon.

Well it's rumored that Matrox has an ace up its sleeve. Also Bitboys is supposed to start sending beta cards to testers around new year. S3 is on to something too.... I haven't heard ANYTHING of Trident though....

Last edited:

Moonlight

Well, BitBoys have canned their projects at least twice in the past... once because they didn't have a manufacturing partner and another because their project was already obsolete before they were ready to make their first silicon attempt.

For Matrox, I heard the rumor from one of Matrox's engineers at a carreer fair about a year ago. With the major 3D chip manufacturers being as agressive as they are, how can one seriously expect a semi-retired player who hasn't had significant experience for the last two or so years to come back in full force?

(you can expect terrific 2D output from Matrox since their video cards are also meant to accompany >$1000 professional digital video editing kits - which is far more profitable than their PC video card business.)

For Trident, if they don't have anything on the way, they'll probably die or be bought by either ATI, nVidia or S3 for their mobile market share.

Of what's left, only S3 and STM are substantially more than vaporware since 3D is in their core product lineup and they have a market share to protect.

How will all this turn out? We'll should have most of the answers by this time next year.

Huzza : if you go check the "Image Quality" thread, you'll see that my "shit128" can do PJ64 quite decently. Yes, Link has white clothes but that's not the end of the world - almost everything else is perfect.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Moonlight said:

Huzza : if you go check the "Image Quality" thread, you'll see that my "shit128" can do PJ64 quite decently. Yes, Link has white clothes but that's not the end of the world - almost everything else is perfect.

no, a lot of stuff is wrong, you probably just aren't noticing anything but the obvious stuff.

Kritikal

And just to throw their name out there, Kyro is made by PowerVR and is based on the technology they used in the Dreamcast graphics chip. So don't count them out.