What's new

What do i have to do to get Quake 2 working better pls?

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
I have done a search on this site and a hundred pages came up!

Any ideas how to get Quake 2 working better? I get tracers across the screen sometimes.

Also when there is fireing or flys, u know the very small round pixels. They slow the game down to 15-20fps with Jabo.

I have all the plugins and none really seem to make it better than Jabo's. Is there any options i have to tick/untick to get the speed up when i hit a wall of those pixel dots?

Thanks all!

Stezo2k

S-2K
you could try the pc version? Its less than £5, has nicer graphics, and you could try it online :)

just a thought

OP
HShadow

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
Stezo2k said:
you could try the pc version? Its less than £5, has nicer graphics, and you could try it online :)

just a thought

One of us has missed the point i think. Not sure which of us it is though...

For me its not about gfx or online. I have a 5900ultra and Battlefield if i want nice gfx and online.

Thx for the help though...

Stezo2k

S-2K
HShadow said:
One of us has missed the point i think. Not sure which of us it is though...

For me its not about gfx or online. I have a 5900ultra and Battlefield if i want nice gfx and online.

Thx for the help though...

i forgot to mention the main point i was meant to state; it would run much faster, but its your choice mate really.

I prefer the pc version to be honest

machspeed

Dead Guy
the PC version isnt emulated! its not nintendo 64! that's one of the many reasons we have emulation!

machspeed

-Shadow-

Banned
AFAIK , the PC and n64 versions got different maps , so it's worth thinking of having both versions....

rcgamer

the old guy
OK, now for some actual help. try using rices video 5.5.1 and in the current game settings make sure on both framebuffer and render to texture they have none. and frame update at vi origin change, make sure normal blender and force buffer clear are checked. it runs perfectly. the game seems to run a lot better with 1964 but these settings will work on either . its just a little slower on pj64 for some reason, i think its an emulator issue as it is stated in th comments that it runs slow .

the only problem ive seen with this config is in multiplayer when there are four small screens at once. yours little screen is fine but the other three have all kinds of tracer problems. but single player works great.. if you want the multiplayer then gln64 is your best choice but its slower than rices. you will need to tick the hardware framebuffer box.

Last edited:
OP
HShadow

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
rcgamer said:
OK, now for some actual help. try using rices video 5.5.1 and in the current game settings make sure on both framebuffer and render to texture they have none. and frame update at avi origin change, make sure normal blender and force buffer clear are checked. it runs perfectly. the game seems to run a lot better with 1964 but these settings will work on either . its just a little slower on pj64 for some reason, i think its an emulator issue as it is stated in th comments that it runs slow .

the only problem ive seen with this config is in multiplayer when there are four small screens at once. yours little screen is fine but the other three have all kinds of tracer problems. but single player works great.. if you want the multiplayer then gln64 is your best choice but its slower than rices. you will need to tick the hardware framebuffer box.

Thanks for the help!

But... (their always is isnt there)!

I cant find some of the options you speak of. I dont have them hidden either. I must be going blind. i found framebuffer and render to texture but i cant find frame update at avi origin change, normal blender and force buffer clear are checked!

DOHH. What am i like? Any ideas. I really cannot see them!

rcgamer

the old guy
hmm are you sure your using 5.5.1? here is what the settings should look like. you have to be in game to see these.

oh yeah and its vi not avi my bad.

OP
HShadow

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
Thanks for your help guys. You are all stars! (big balls of gas?)

Anyway's... I found the options and triple checked to make sure i had them right. I used Direct X and OpenGL and it worked great only on GL. But... (remember the but)!

Everything is fine apart from one thing and one thing only. I cant see things in the world. The game renders fast and fine now. I just cant see armour, ammo, weapons and most of all bad guys! I see the light from their fire but no bad guy. I hear them. But still no bad guy.... strange.

Any ideas or are we at a lose. I tried in 1964 and it was very slow (15-20fps). I could see bad guys though! He he.

I would put some pics of my settings or screens but i dont know how and i have prob exhausted your knowledge as it should work by now right?!

Any ideas would be very grateful.

Thanks all.

rcgamer

the old guy
it works great for me in direct x. what drivers are you using for your graphics card? if your not using them already then try the 61.12 drivers. oh yeah one more thing in the direct x tab settings untick force software transform and lighting. other than that i dont know what to tell you.,you can get those drivers from www.guru3d.com you have to go into the forums.
to post pics choose go advanced in the quick reply . then select manage attachments , browse to the pic then click upload.

Last edited:

rcgamer

the old guy
ok here are all the settings im using . I should also say im using the (E)! rom.

Last edited:
OP
HShadow

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
rcgamer said:
ok here are all the settings im using .

Thanks a shed load! I will try your settings out now. I LOVE THIS GAME i cant wait to play it nice.

Im on the Starstorm 56.72X driver at the mo from www.guru3d.com

I heard the driver you have got is buggy and the .12 instead of the .11 just adds support for note books.

I might try it again but it did not feel as fast but i did no tests really.

Thanks for the screens. Will go through them now and triple check everything. As for all my other hardware, apart from specific CD ROM drivers (just vanilla XP ones) all is up to date to the max (bios of Mboard & Video to).

Fanks!

OP
HShadow

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
Well well well...

It worked a bloody treat! Could you do that with my life to? loooool

Click click and its done. i can now play it very well and i see ALL! I just quickly tried Quake 1 to and that is fixed to.

I hope i can help someone else with the info i learn here as im always in this forum.

Thanks very much.