What's new

what are the minimum requirements to run N64 games on pc?

cooliscoo

EmuTalk Member
P3/ K6-2 500MHz, 128MB Ram, Windows 98 and higher.

Note that these specs are the lowest and you'll have to sacrifice sound and alot of speed.

Clements

In fact, ignore the manual, I can run games on my old 450MHz 8Meg integrated graphics, with 56MBRam. I got Mario to run fast enough to be playable (30fps) I've also tried N64 emulation on our schools PCs (330MHz, 4MB Graphics) Mario ran slowly with graphical glitches. If you want to play games fast, the manuals are about right.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Do note that the programmer's doesn't take the EXTREME low specs that is needed for the program to at least work! In that case, as long as it supports the extensions needed (ie, sse, 3dnow!), a 100 mhz processor can run anything fine.

Those specs are set to get at least a little out of the whole.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
It only *needs* MMX, so a P166MMX will run it. Er i think, haven't tried recently.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
I ran corn and Mario and some other 64bit game @ school on a 166Mhz MMX Intel system, cheap 4mb video card and i think is had 64mb RAM. It ran Mario at something like 25FPS, I was suprised.

I think I tried TRWin too ( this was about 2-3 years ago) and I think that TRWin ran, but it was slower and had gliches, if I remember correctly.

For decent proformace you should be running something like a PII300 with 128mb RAM and a GeForce2/TNT/ATI Rage type of video card. With that you could probably run some of the lower class games with playable graphics and playable FPS.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
I dont remember if it requires anything actually, there are paths if you don't have MMX,SSE, or 3Dnow. So I would assume any 586...

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Hi J. nah i remember a conversation which went something like
Smiff "hey it dont work on my P-Pro any more"
Jabo "errr. ug."
S "ummm. PPro aint got MMX?"
J "uhu... i need that"
S "non-MMX CPUs are all too slow anyway"
all "yeah. so f**k it"

(how the hell did we ever get anything done? sound like a couple of rednecks) :term:

but that was like 2 years ago, from memory, and that system is now kaput, and it was not really worth checking again anyway. maybe it does work now w/o MMX after all. That'll be nice for all you people who like playing Mario at 20FPS ;) Seriously use No Sound & disable RSP audio and it's not so slow.

Last edited:
L

Lachp30

Our old computer (P2, 300Mhz) ran games like Harvest Moon and Turok at around 30fps on Nemu. Oh, it also had a 4mb graphics card.

RavenVegeta

Oni Saiya Deity
hey all (^_^)

have to say that without sound or joystick input ... you can get Mario working quite nicely at around 25-30fps @ Windowed 640x480x16 on a Cyrix 200mx w/128Mb Ram on an SiS 6326 4Mb Card using DirectX 8.1 on WinXP Pro SP1

however personally i can't stand playing games without sound, and i've found that this is what causes the largest slowdown.
i mean the best plugins for PJ64 are Jambo's Dx series which come with it, Audio - Controller - Display

now as soon as you add sound, for games like Paper Mario, Pokémon Stadium, Zelda, Mario, etc... the less demanding games my Duron 800Mhz w/512Mb Ram on a GeForce2 Go! 200 32Mb using DirectX 9.0 on WinXP Pro SP1

will just about play the sound normally, occasionally goes all jittery when larger scenes are shown - but on the whole is good.
however when you try to play the more demanding titles like, Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Conkers Bad Fur Day, etc...
the sound because unplayably jittery - and i've noticed this hasn't much to do with the rendering speed niether.

Because it'll happily tinker along at 40-60fps even with FSAA at like 4x

i've noticed though alot of the plugins are still based within the old DirectX's ... like the Graphics plugin is Dx6 and the controller is Dx7 - and i think the sound is Dx7 too.

Dx 8.1 and 9.0 have alot of increased speed though, so it might be an idea updating the plugins - atleast to DirectX 8.1 as the sound will benifit alot i would think due to the new system.
And Graphics would definately get alot quicker with DirectX 9 support :)

Guess you guys don't own N64DDs though, cause i can't run my Pokémon and Zelda games from it ;)

cooliscoo

EmuTalk Member
RavenVegeta said:
hey all (^_^)

have to say that without sound or joystick input ... you can get Mario working quite nicely at around 25-30fps @ Windowed 640x480x16 on a Cyrix 200mx w/128Mb Ram on an SiS 6326 4Mb Card using DirectX 8.1 on WinXP Pro SP1

LOL. With that CPU's weak FPU it runs PJ worse than a P75. Hell, i HIGHLY doubt you got 25-30 fps with that system. My K6-2 550 with integrated video got 29fps @ best. Ran full speed when i got a GeForce with it, though. :)

OP
H

harry_pouter

pokemon stadium

i have a PIII 750 mHz, and a GeForce2 MX400 64mb. When I run pokemon stadium 2 in Project 64, the game slow down on some scenes of the game. Is that emulation problemon or it's because my pc can't handle n64 emulation?

thanx

cooliscoo

EmuTalk Member
Re: pokemon stadium

harry_pouter said:
i have a PIII 750 mHz, and a GeForce2 MX400 64mb. When I run pokemon stadium 2 in Project 64, the game slow down on some scenes of the game. Is that emulation problemon or it's because my pc can't handle n64 emulation?

thanx

A PIII 750 should be able to do it nicely, but don't expect *completely* full speed.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
yeah, that's because if you don't have MMX, the signal processor is 10x slower :p but it should still work, just like graphics, otherwise there would be no need to detect mmx

hehe nice to see you around tho s0n :)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
wow so those Intel guys in coloured bunny suits were really onto something (remember them?). it must be possible to make a program think your system is missing some hardware, for testing.