What's new

Well guys I think we've broke the 5 ghz mark

boykillsworld

I'm curious as to what it would take to make this thing playable. Right now if you bought a quad core intel and overclocked the piss out of it with a brand new direct X 10 graphics card we have to be approaching the point of actual play. I'm just trying to get a feel of what it would take. Do you guys have any rough idea. Or would it take the intel 50 core portotype to pull this off.

Toasty

Sony battery
There's not much point to using a quad-core processor at this time, as Dolphin's core is currently single-threaded. Processors have improved a lot, but don't overestimate the improvement. Even on decent machines (prior to Core 2) 10 fps was difficult to attain in-game. An overclocked Core 2 will be better, but six times better?

DirectX 10 may or may not improve things if an emulator is optimized to take advantage of it. (Gamecube graphics are pretty simple compared to what modern cards can handle, but it's possible other calculations may be able to be off-loaded to the graphics card.)

Bare in mind that even if you had a processor fast enough, Dolphin is still very much a WIP and is very buggy (Wind Waker crashes when you get your first item). As a side note, we haven't broken the 5GHz mark - in fact Core 2's have slower clock frequencies than the NetBurst line (Pentium 4, Pentium D, current Celerons), but their more efficient architecture makes them much faster per clock cycle. Sorry to burst your bubble. :(