What's new

Weird problem in Rocket: Robot on Wheels

straight

The cameraman is drunk again!

Wow! Rocket: Robot on Wheels is a surprisingly fun and inventive game!

But I've been getting some really weird glitches with it. (Using Glide64 - I posted this in the Glide64 forum too, not sure if it's a plugin issue or an emulator issue.)

At some points it seems like the camera is getting lost or something. The view wanders off, or zooms way back and wanders around the level, or seems centered on a point a few "feet" to the side of the main character, or - most commonly during gameplay - tilts way up toward the sky and you see nothing but blue.

Once lost, the camera usually stays stuck looking off at something else, but occasionally it will get off then snap back to the right place. But unless it snaps back on it's own, I have to re-load a saved state to fix it - trying to mess with the in-game camera controls doesn't help.

I can't reproduce it reliably in the game, but it seems like it happens most when something in the game (an enemy or a wall) gets in the way of the camera.

But it always happens during the opening cutscene: at some point during the little movie, the camera sinks down into the floor, and you can only see a little of the action in the top of the screen, and sometimes it will just sink all the way down out of the level and you see nothing. But it usually is back to normal when you hit start and the regular game kicks in.

It looks like the same problem that this guy was having (I note that we're both using a Voodoo 3).