What's new

Warcraft3 - any good?

yogaman

Banned
Well, I'm considering to get it ... is it worth it? I've heard that it's supposed to be a great game. Can somebody tell me if it is really "that" great? I really liked Starcraft from blizzard whereas Warcraft2 was no match.

thx

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Yeah, warcraft 3 is a good game.
Except for some limitations. In this game, you have heroes and good units. In this game, strategy is the key. You can no longer make a brute force as in previous games.

But aside from that...it's pretty good.

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
Doomulation said:
Yeah, warcraft 3 is a good game.
Except for some limitations. In this game, you have heroes and good units. In this game, strategy is the key. You can no longer make a brute force as in previous games.

But aside from that...it's pretty good.

Hehe, a downside is that you require strategy? :p

Anyway, I love the game. Go get it.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Let me rephrase...
you MUST use strategy.

In campaigns, you have very little gold, and thus with such small armies, you would never be able to use brute force.

Johnny_Rico

Mobile Infantry
Warcarft's problem will always remain it's limit for amount of units chosen, it's unrealistic and totally unnecessary.

As a Homeworld fan, I just can't play their games.

Eagle

aka Alshain
The limit on units is what forces you to use strategy and makes the game more interesting. Also in WC3 if you build too many units, then your gold mine will stop bringing in as much gold, this is called upkeep. It prevents rushing and makes people play the game as it was intended. After all it is a Real Time STRATEGY game, not a Real Time Brute Force game.

WC3 kicks homeworld's arse. I've played the homeworld series, and many of the other RTS games since they are my favorite including C&C/RA, AOE, Homeworld, WarCraft/StarCraft, and a whole bunch more I cant think of right now. Blizzard seems to have the right idea and is dominating with their release of WC3.

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
Very different. Warcraft 3 uses a new idea never been tried before that mixes RTS with RPG. While the core of the game is Real Time Strategy, there is an underlying Role Play plot to the game as well. Basically you have a hero in addition to your normal units, and he travels with you throughout the campaign. The hero levels up with each kill he makes and can learn new abilities that no other unit in the game can use, while the other units work like a normal RTS. The Hero can also pick up weapons and magics to help him/her along their way. In addition there are hostile critters. Unlinke the critters in previous blizard games, some of them are hostile and will attack (this has been done in other non-blizzard games). While the RPG aspect is removed for multiplayer, it is taken to a new level because you can level up your heroes and make them hard to beat, and if they die, you pay some gold to respawn them and their back with the same strength making it much harder to play against another human. Finally the graphics are completely out of this world. To put it short, I'm not into games that any fool and his mother can play. I want a challenge and Warcraft III gives it to you.

Last edited:

Sukh

Long gone...
I'm sorry, but WC3 sux compared to the Age of Empires series. I should be getting my Age of Mythology beta sometime this week and it is sure to kick WC3's ass!

If you can hold out a few months get AOM, unless you've got enough money then get both :)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Careful with wc3, one of my XP computers always freezes at random with that game (requires power down and reboot to fix). I had a similar problem with starcraft, where it would randomly crash to the desktop, and it was a well known problem that blizzard refused to address, and pissed me off pretty bad. They might end up doing the same with WC3, I noticed a few people on blizzards forum are complaining about this and thus far are getting nowhere.

Eagle

aka Alshain
AlphaWolf said:
Careful with wc3, one of my XP computers always freezes at random with that game (requires power down and reboot to fix). I had a similar problem with starcraft, where it would randomly crash to the desktop, and it was a well known problem that blizzard refused to address, and pissed me off pretty bad. They might end up doing the same with WC3, I noticed a few people on blizzards forum are complaining about this and thus far are getting nowhere.

Its not Blizzard's problem its your video drivers. I know the problem well. They refuse to address it because they cant address it. If its the one I'm thinking of then complain to Nvidia because they are the problem.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Sukh said:
I'm sorry, but WC3 sux compared to the Age of Empires series. I should be getting my Age of Mythology beta sometime this week and it is sure to kick WC3's ass!

If you can hold out a few months get AOM, unless you've got enough money then get both :)

I have to agree, I like AOE2 best, but Warcraft comes in a close second. I do think AOM will be awesome too, but its not here yet. If you can afford it I'd get both. When I said WC3 was dominating I was refering to games that have been being release within the last year. But Homeworld is one of my least favorite.

Last edited:

Reznor007

I can't stand the "Age of"series, however all of Blizzards RTS games I love. For me Starcraft was easily the best RTS game ever, up until Warcraft3. I would say get it, and preferrably the collectors edition(I did :) ), as it comes with the soundtrack cd, cinematic dvd, 4 prints, and the art of warcraft book, which is really nice.

ShadowPrince

Eagle said:
Very different. Warcraft 3 uses a new idea never been tried before that mixes RTS with RPG. While the core of the game is Real Time Strategy, there is an underlying Role Play plot to the game as well. Basically you have a hero in addition to your normal units, and he travels with you throughout the campaign.

Not true,Ubi Soft did same things in Battle Realms long ago.It's not that Warcraft3 is totally innovative game...But still is best
in it's genre.Best part is the story line,not many pure rpgs have such good plot.
Add to this state of the art graphix,hi quality movies,addictive gameplay.
Other RTS looks just like collection of maps near that one.:)

OP
yogaman

yogaman

Banned
errmmm ... well sounds like that wc3 kicks ass.
1) What are the system requirements?
2) How long does the game last? Can you beat the game in a week or so?
3) Has anybody tried to play on battle.net / any good?

thx

Eagle

aka Alshain
ShadowPrince said:
Not true,Ubi Soft did same things in Battle Realms long ago.It's not that Warcraft3 is totally innovative game...But still is best
in it's genre.Best part is the story line,not many pure rpgs have such good plot.
Add to this state of the art graphix,hi quality movies,addictive gameplay.
Other RTS looks just like collection of maps near that one.:)

No, Battle Realms was completely different. While it did have heroes, they werent like WC3's RPG style. (Battle Realms was only a year or 2 ago, not that long at all)

Last edited:

ShadowPrince

For me COMPLETELY different games is Tony Hawk 3 and GTA 3 :)

You have to admit that Battle Realms and WC3 very similar in all aspects.Just everything that Battle Realms features ,WC3 do
much better .
But it's not the point of this thread anyway,so
bottom line : get this game ASAP if you're not already did it.

OP
yogaman

yogaman

Banned
hey eagle, can you tell me how many levels there are in WC3 ... I don't know if we have the same definition for a long lasting game!