What's new

Want a new CPU and mainboard

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Any ATX case with a 350 or 400 Watts PSU will be fine. There a lot of case styles, so pick up one you like, it is a good idea to get one that has USB ports in front of it, or Firewire if you need them. A videocard... it should be ATI or nvidia based card, but the model depends upond your budgte and needs, because they range from, let's say $50 and $500

OP
B

bcrew1375

Hmm, having trouble deciding which case to get. I really don't want to buy something and find out I can't use it. I guess I'll just have to take a deep breath and choose one :(

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
It shouldn't be hard. As long as the case supports the standard that the motherboard uses (in this case, probably ATX), then it will do fine. You can also buy a PSU seperatly if you want to have a little control over that.
A good thing to note is also air circulation inside the case. A case with many fans is better than a case with few fans.

As for video cards... for nVidia, you would want something like Geforce 6600 GT or something like 7600. I think those are the current budget cards.

Flash

Technomage
bcrew1375 said:
Okay, right now I am set to get these three:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811166015(Would get black, but they're out of stock :()
To tell you the truth, i don't like it. $90 for a case with mediocre PSU ? And it (PSU) sounds like jet fighter. :plain:

It's better to get this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811166005 (w/o PSU)

And this PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103932

Expensive, i know :) But it's the best PSU you can get.

OP
B

bcrew1375

Does the brand of PSU affect anything aside from lifespan? I don't much like the idea of spending $200 on a case and PSU. I think $90 is bad enough. The case I have now only costed me $35 when I got it and it's still running strong with no power problems whatsoever. Would I actually even need a full case for the motherboard I linked?

Last edited:

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
You don't need a fulltower. If the case supports ATX and the motherboard is ATX would there be no problem. Fulltowers are extremely big.

OP
B

bcrew1375

Okay, I've placed my order. Hopefully everything will fit together nicely :). Thanks for all the suggestions. BTW, is eVGA a good video card manufacturer?

Last edited:
OP
B

bcrew1375

Got my parts yesterday. I put everything together, and turned it on. It powered on fine, all the fans were spinning, everything seems okay so far. I had planned on using the RAM from my desktop, which I thought used 2100. Unfortunately, I realized too late that I was thinking about my notebook, and my desktop actually had some much older RAM(but still 184 pins). So, I guess I'll have to go out and buy a stick or two tomorrow. Is K-Byte a good brand? I really wanted to use it tonight, but I'm just happy it didn't blow up in my face :). Let's see... I think this makes the 4th computer I've built, and I'm still a little shaky and over-cautious when putting them together :p.

Last edited:

TerraPhantm

How much are you willing to spend? I personally like TCCD based memory, because they tend to be able to get really high clocks for DDR 1. My sticks can go to about 330 before I start having ram related problems.

OP
B

bcrew1375

Meh, I just bought a 1 gig stick of Kingston PC2700. Everything is up and running now. I had to reinstall Windows naturally, so I'm in the process of restoring everything. I have yet to push the system.

Doomulation

PC2700? Why? AMD systems can support PC3200, which is much better than PC2700 and Intel systems can support DDR2. A high memory speed is a good thing.

OP
B

bcrew1375

Good question. I was in a rush when I bought it, and didn't really think about it. I wonder if I can return it? :/

OP
B

bcrew1375

I've encountered my first problem. It's a sound card issue. I would use the onboard audio, but it's a Realtek AC97, and I've heard nothing but bad things about them, and it wouldn't work when I did try it. So, I made sure to disable it in the BIOS and I planned on using my old ESS Canyon 3D 2. It served me well with my old desktop. It plays sound, but every once in a while, the sound will skip. When I try playing videos, the videos will freeze for a second, then play through at a really fast speed, then play normal for a few seconds. I've installed the same drivers I used before. All of Windows settings are the same as last time I used the card. The only thing I figure could really be affecting it is the change in motherboard. The motherboard is DFI NF4-DAGF. So, I looked for some motherboard problems. I found something I hadn't heard of before. I heard that some motherboards need to have the PCI clock locked, though this should only change anything if you do any overclocking, which I haven't. For a while I was thinking it might be a IRQ conflict, but I'm not so sure anymore. I checked my PCI speed with ClockGen and it tells me it is 33.49. Though that is a very small amount, I'm wondering if it could be the cause of the problem, and if so, how can I fix it? BTW, I'm 99% certain this is a sound card issue because if I uninstall the card in Device Manager, videos play fine.

Last edited:

Doomulation

There is nothing wrong with onboard sound. Realtek AC97 isn't a bad sound card either. Those who say that either live in the past or are just plain stupid. I, myself, have a Realtek AC97 and my sound is just fine!

Doomulation

Basic troubleshooting: is it enabled in BIOS? Do you have correct drivers installed for the sound card on your motherboard? I hope other basic things such as volume is muted or turned down to minimum isn't there.