What's new

Vista RC1 available for public!

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Doomulation said:
I beg to differ!
The fact that the Task Manager doesn't work in this build further suggests that it is BETA.
I beg to differ your differ, that's your system's problem because my task manager works perfectly.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I beg to differ. It doesn't work on either of my computers.
There is still work to be done - it's still Beta. Although I disagree a little on that too. Maybe it should be called WIP.

Not to mention all the bugs it has with file copy / move, etc. No, this thing shouldn't be a soon-to-be released product. It needs way more testing. But I guess it will get a lot of testing now when it goes public. But then again, I don't know if Microsoft will bother to fix everything that shows up. They released this way too late.

Last edited:

Poobah

I, for one, would be disappointed to see another buggy Windows release. (Windows XP is satisfactorily stable, but ME certainly wasn't!) I hope they spend lots of time testing it so that the final product is nice and stable.

The only thing that Microsoft is missing is that they don't get much "advice" and "suggestions" from the customers plus the only people who test Windows are the people who make them.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Untrue. Untrue. Untrue. Untrue. Sometimes I wonder if you at all know what you are replying?

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

What are these public betas for then, do you think? And Microsoft has a Tech Network and Technical Testers, and the list goes on. They simply do not spend enough time testing it. That goes for all their products.

Flash

Technomage
M$ already own 90% of all PCs why should they care about quality of their products.
MacOS X is better than Windows in any aspect, Linux is great OS too buuut... Software...
Not everbody happy with Win, but if required program is windows-only, you'll stuck with windows. Of course there's Wine/Cedega/whatever and it's great but compatibility is not 100% .
MS works like drug dealer - for a first time you'll get windoze for free,either with new PC or pirated version but for work you'll need guess what... another copy of windoze. And they emm... bribe software companies to make only windows versions of software - for example games (only a few companies like id or Epic think about linux and mac users).

Vista... Too much hype about interface but they planning to steal what others already have - Vista GUI looks and feels like hybrid of KDE and Aqua. Well, they chose a good source for plagiarism, but it's MS, right ? And here comes the other side of the coin - system requirements. Vista requires more ram than Mac OS 10.4 and XP running in virtual machine on host that runs UT2004 at same time. 1GB RAM for OS itself when You need newest video card just for GUI MacOS X looks same with or without Quartz Extreme, without it interface is just a bit slower. And for Quartz Extreme you'll need 16Mb OGL 1.1 compatible video card, with 64Mb card it will be more than happy :) Same for linux. for Vista default interface we'll need 256М сard w/ PS 2.0. 256M... for GUI...
Hardware manufacturers will be happy - users will need 6Gb or RAM just to run Word. :D

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I'd like to know where you got that you need a 256 meg video card at. I know for a fact aero runs quite well on 64 meg and 128 meg cards, even integrated ones. Yes, a gig of RAM is a requirement, and yes DX9/PS 2.0 is a requirement, but still, most all systems today have 512, and the large majority of systems being sold now have at least a gig of ram, if not 2 gigs (I know, I'm a salesman, I sell this stuff every day).

System specs are a thing of the past, they don't matter as much as they used to because top end technology doesn't cost what it used to. A gig of ram can be had for 80 dollars, a 64 bit processor that runs at 2 gigahertz can be had for under 100 bucks. You can tool together a completely windows vista ready system for the same ammount you can an XP ready system now if you know how to use newegg, or shop at bestbuy (where I work now, we have decent Vista Ready [yes aero included] systems in store for less then 600 bucks now). Vista's system requirements are changing with the times. As tech gets cheaper, theres more at the hands of companies to throw horsepower into. So you can build a powerful system cheap, that will run Aero and Vista with no issues. I have a media center system here I'm contemplating putting RC1 on just to see how it runs.

Vista isn't a bad OS, I'm running it as my primary system on my main rig and am having very few issues with it. I'd recommend it, and I hope other do as well, because it gives you all the stability of XP with the flash of OS X.

I do still wish I could afford a 24" Core 2 Duo iMac though... :p

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

I have to agree here. Noone cares if a game eats 2 GB+ and requires a DX9 card with 256 MB of memory. But when a program (like Windows) starts to require a little more, hell runs loose. If games can, then why not Windows? Hey, come on, I mean, things are changing and specs, too. We don't live with computers with 256 MB of memory and 16 MB video memory anymore. If you do, then you probably need to upgrade anyway, because many things won't work with that low end hardware. And hey, if you don't want to upgrade, no one is forcing you to upgrade to Vista.

And maybe computer makers will get some sense and include more memory in machines now. They always cut down on memory and that's a bad thing.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Flash said:
M$ already own 90% of all PCs why should they care about quality of their products.
MacOS X is better than Windows in any aspect, Linux is great OS too buuut... Software...
Not everbody happy with Win, but if required program is windows-only, you'll stuck with windows. Of course there's Wine/Cedega/whatever and it's great but compatibility is not 100% .
MS works like drug dealer - for a first time you'll get windoze for free,either with new PC or pirated version but for work you'll need guess what... another copy of windoze. And they emm... bribe software companies to make only windows versions of software - for example games (only a few companies like id or Epic think about linux and mac users).

Vista... Too much hype about interface but they planning to steal what others already have - Vista GUI looks and feels like hybrid of KDE and Aqua. Well, they chose a good source for plagiarism, but it's MS, right ? And here comes the other side of the coin - system requirements. Vista requires more ram than Mac OS 10.4 and XP running in virtual machine on host that runs UT2004 at same time. 1GB RAM for OS itself when You need newest video card just for GUI MacOS X looks same with or without Quartz Extreme, without it interface is just a bit slower. And for Quartz Extreme you'll need 16Mb OGL 1.1 compatible video card, with 64Mb card it will be more than happy :) Same for linux. for Vista default interface we'll need 256М сard w/ PS 2.0. 256M... for GUI...
Hardware manufacturers will be happy - users will need 6Gb or RAM just to run Word. :D
Sounds to me like you've already judged vista to be a pile of crap and haven't even gave it a chance. Microsoft needs to make windows a quality product because there are people out there who would quite happily sit on XP/98 for their entire lives - like any other companie they have to actually make the user want their product. You think Sony needs to worry about the quality of their product with the PS3? OF COURSE THEY DO. There's no way someone is going to buy a $600 Playstation if it is made out of cardboard and crashes all the time.

Not everybody happy with Windows, true, but not everyone is happy with barbeque sauce either - this my friend is known as "the opinion", everyone has one. Let me make an equally wild and not backed up with evidence claim: Not everyone hates windows either.

"MS works like drug dealer - for a first time you'll get windoze for free," Ok from this point on I know what you're all about, you're the type of person who would sit in the corner and at the mere mention of "Windows" would hiss at it without even bothering to know the facts. Unless you've used vista you cannot say whether you like it or not and to label it as crap just because it has the word Microsoft or Windows in it is a bit like labeling all products with the word Sony in it the heavenliest of all heavenly machines.

You sir have a complete lack of how the real world works, companies are run by people - people like power and money, if it wasn't microsoft it'd be someone else. I'd hate to see the world where Linux is the market leader.

"bribe software companies to make only windows versions of software"
Where the fuck are you getting this crap? Game companies don't make games for windows because they are bribed - seriously. You have lost all credibility here, this is like claiming that Microsoft are knocking over trucks with copies of red hat inside. Where's the PROOF? It's well known the linux eats children you know. Game makers release windows versions because they are the dominant operating system - there is no profit releasing games for an OS nobody but a minority uses.

I've got an idea, i'll release a game for windows 3.11! and guess what, HARDWARE IS EVOLVING - why shouldn't microsoft make windows take advantage of it, WHY THE FUCK NOT? Your type pisses me off, if it were up to you we'd be stuck with rocks in caves.

Linux isn't all that great you know; The only way you'd be happy is if Microsoft said out loud "You know what, lets give out our products for free! WEEEEEE even though we've spent millions in developing them and will end up dying because we can't pay our employees.... weeeeeeeeee"

You know what? I'm not even going to humor you anymore because you seem to be living in a land of make believe with fairys, trolls and the like. If you don't want to use Vista or Windows. DON'T it is that simple, quit bitching and get on with using your Mac OS see how much we care. I don't care whether you use Vista or not. Do you care if *I* do? Probably... which is sad.

Last edited:
How should I buy Vista? By Retail or By Internet? Please let me know 'cause getting another new computer soon it's gonna be a powerhouse!

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Wait 'til it's released. Retail and Internet is the same thing, no? Don't buy Vista - not yet. Wait until cheaper prices surface.

flow``

flow``
usually i hate to post on these threads because theres a lot of bandwagon opinions, but i feel i might as well throw in my 2¢

"throwing rc1 in a box and calling it vista".. erm.. no.. RC builds mean "feature complete" i.e. nothing will be added/removed. basically its the OS as it will be shipped feature-wise but not yet fully tested or bug-fixed, and definitely not stable (as ms would like it to be). rc's also give hardware companies a good look at the final build to polish off drivers to be included in the shipped product.

-

trial software has adware? uh.. no. not from MS anyway.

-

upgrade installs -> always a bad idea. backup/format/install.

-

vista is officially rc1. not that names really matter (beta/alpha/rc) except for roadmap purposes, but the fact that doom's task bar doesnt work and scottjc's does suggest there are still bugs to be ironed out and its not a shippable product (although still quite usable).

-

ms test the shit out of their products. they have their own in-house testers, technet, cpp, etc etc and most of all, publicly available builds to recieve feedback from users. whether or not bugs get fixed or put off until sp1 is their choice depending on the severity of it.

-

windows is _never_ free, only included in the price of OEM pc's. (unless through gift packages at pc/tech events but thats another thing).

you also never "need" another version of windows, many people still run win95/98 and it does everything they need it to do, but you only want the latest and greatest since its the newest platform being developed on.

i think that about covers it minus the really long stories on this thread i didnt feel like reading.

edit: wow. talk about shitty, my 1k post and its about some bs like this. Sigh