Vista Beta 2 Public Today!

Chazam

Here are some screens running some stuff:

I had to DL the 32bit version cos the 64 bit one stopped at about 16 meg.:(

I do like it tho, very slick.

Last edited:

Chazam

Doomulation said:
Wha? I was able to download and install the x64 version.
Every time i tried it stopped at about 13 to 16 meg.

I'll download it at a later date to try it tho. :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Vista bids me welcome...
Btw, can't attach the image direct. Can blame the board for that. It doesn't accept 1920 x 1200 dimensions for the image and I have no app to resize it so I had to zip it.
Btw, I still don't get how to 3D Alt + Tab. Pressing the Windows Key with Tab has absolutely no effect. Do you need a Vista Key or something? It doesn't work for me.

EDIT:
It's a shame. It looked so promising. But we all knew microsoft would screw us over with Vista. Full of bugs, and we probably won't recieve another version until RC1. That means every problem we stumple upon will NEVER, EVER be fixed for us until RC1. Which is months away. Oh, and the manufacturers? They pretty much say "screw you for using Vista, we'll have no support for you!" Until it's official, don't count on any kind of support. Vista is going down the drain. It's a shame, but XP will have to stay.

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
Tried downloading the 64-bit edition twice last night. After 3.8GB my download manager crashed. Tried downloading it again just with the browser's download manager, but after I went to bed my PC went into standby and the download couldn't be salvaged after I woke up. Trying to download it again now, but all I get is "access denied". Anybody still able to download the 64-bit version?

TerraPhantm

Hmm the OS worked fine for me, although it took A LOT of RAM (probably because it was compiled in debugging mode). Did you download nVidia's WDDM drivers? If not, that is probably the reason you're not getting any of the aero effects.

EDIT: Hmm judging by Hexidecimal's screenshots, it might be an nVidia thing, because Aero isn't enabled in those.

Last edited:

yegosimo

Bug Killer
downloading this thing is a pain in the ass
fuck microsoft servers (< 1kb/s) , i got a torrent of the Beta 2 (x86)
it's reaaaaaaalllllyyyyyy slowww thu (4.5 kb/s)
it'll take ages ...

Chazam

TerraPhantm said:
Hmm the OS worked fine for me, although it took A LOT of RAM (probably because it was compiled in debugging mode). Did you download nVidia's WDDM drivers? If not, that is probably the reason you're not getting any of the aero effects.

EDIT: Hmm judging by Hexidecimal's screenshots, it might be an nVidia thing, because Aero isn't enabled in those.

I don't think it's a nVidia problem because all of the areo effects worked straight away for me:

@ Doomulation

It's a shame you're having all those problems. Have you triesd to install the nvidia drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_88.61.html

Vista is my primary OS at the moment and seems 99% good except the memory usage.

Hopefull ythat will be sorted.

Doomulation

No, I can't use Vista. Bugs, bugs and bugs. After a while explorer slows to a crawl. Takes several seconds to view what's on the harddisk. Search doesn't really work... sound drivers won't install. No support for beta drivers...

Toasty

Sony battery
Just finished downloading the thing for the third time and this time the image is corrupt. Microsoft seriously needs to embrace BitTorrent...

Doomulation

Bah to bittorrent. It is usually and often slow. Microsoft servers are really fast and can deliver downloads at blazing speeds. Much faster than bittorrent. I usually downloaded in 700 kb/s, much faster than any speed I've achieved in bittorrent.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
At least bittorrent usually gives you a completely identical file to whatever the seeds have.

yegosimo

Bug Killer
Doomulation said:
Bah to bittorrent. It is usually and often slow. Microsoft servers are really fast and can deliver downloads at blazing speeds. Much faster than bittorrent. I usually downloaded in 700 kb/s, much faster than any speed I've achieved in bittorrent.

well ... if MS's server is too busy then Bittorrent would be a better option