What's new

Video Hotkeys

Fina

Is there any way to bind video feature toggles like Wireframe, Alpha Z, Stats, etc. to a keyboard key? Sometimes I want to quickly switch between modes but cannot do so fast enough. I'd love to, say, bind a wireframe mode toggle to F6 which I could quickly tap when I want wireframe.

dreamer

Fina said:
Is there any way to bind video feature toggles like Wireframe, Alpha Z, Stats, etc. to a keyboard key? Sometimes I want to quickly switch between modes but cannot do so fast enough. I'd love to, say, bind a wireframe mode toggle to F6 which I could quickly tap when I want wireframe.

as far as i know it can't be done, sorry. it doesnt seem too much hassle to just manually click on the menu for me.

aika-san

running in wireframe also increases framerate which can help get past certain parts in some games which would otherwise freeze. seems to be something to do with video/audio sync.

IceWarm

You can hit ALT on the keyboard and then hit O for options and use the arrow keys to select the video options. That is the only keystroke way to do it as far as I know.

aika-san

IceWarm said:
You can hit ALT on the keyboard and then hit O for options and use the arrow keys to select the video options. That is the only keystroke way to do it as far as I know.

That's interesting. I could write a frontend/launcher for chankast which would set and save the configuration using automated keypresses. Would add hotkey support as well. Could also make it so you could set up config profiles for different games too. Probably take about 1-2 weeks to program something like this.

Last edited:

aika-san

I already have a fully operational script-based keyboard and mouse control programming language which I have written for a different project. It is relatively simple to adapt the control scripts to suit ANY program which requires automation of this nature. I will have something ready within 2 weeks from now. If I was not working, then this would only take a few nights.

As for the language(s) I use, in order frequency:

Visual C++ 6
Pure Basic
Blitz Basic

plus other home-brew tools.

If people reckon this will help, then it is fairly easy for me to do this type of stuff. I've done it a few times already for other programs, so I won't be having any problems with getting Chankast do as I want.

IceWarm

That sounds like a pretty cool project. I think that individual game profiles would be very cool. That would save people time so they wouldn't have to change settings every time they loaded up a different game.

OP
Fina

Fina

I've been using the alt method, but the menu only appears one in every five or six times, making it hard to get the screenshots exactly when you want them.

aika-san

I will begin work on this tonight. At least it will be a temporary solution until Chankast gets these features. It should be going to some extent in a few days. My current feature list is:

1) save/load global default configuration
2) save/load game specific profiles
3) bind one or more settings to a hotkey

I should have at least feature 1 (and possibly 2) going within a few days. Probably start a new thread then and release it in a similar way to SOAPatcher. Feature 3 will require a bit more work. My scripting language supports hotkeys, but the frontend GUI I will need to program for hotkey binding will be a bit more difficult than the profile GUI. I want to keep it open-ended so that it can be easily modified to suit future versions of Chankast. The main thing I will need to do is make a frontend GUI, save/load routines and some automation scripts. Sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. I have already done a few tests using my scripting system and it operates chankast perfectly well. I can't forsee any major problems doing this. It's creepy watching menu's and options selecting themselves, but it works nonetheless. Just a shame I didn't think of this earlier.

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Hey, could you help out the chankast utlities authors which this tool too?
They are very busy at the moment are working on new features to add and how you could insert them AND waiting for a new version of chankast.
So probably write them a email? But they need a long time to answer.

IceWarm

SegaGamer, I'd change your signature if I were you. We are not allows to ask for updates/new features on emulators.

S

SegaGamer

Yes I am referring to Autochan Utility

About my Sig, Im sure theyre fixing that anyway, but I'll change it just incase :)

aika-san

In what way does AutoChan fail. If you tell me more, then I can probably fix it for you. It appears to be working fine for others.