What's new

Video games now illegal...in Greece

Kakarot

This should be old news to most of you but recently a law was passed in Greece outlawing gambling. Included in this law was the outlawing of video games! Even though I'm an American this kind of thing still pisses me off! Who the fuck is any government to tell you what to do with your spare time such as playing pc/video games or any other hobby you may have? I can't begin imagining having to buy my games off the street like from some kind of drug dealer! LOL! Is anyone here from Greece? What do you guys think about it?

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
And on a different note, China`s government has blocked its people from accessing <a href="http://www.google.com">Google</a>...

OP
Kakarot

Kakarot

And on a different note, China`s government has blocked its people from accessing Google...

Yeah but thats China a communist country with not many freedoms. Were talking about a modern/western-type European country here not some theocracy or dictatorship.

gokuss4

Meh...
Josep said:
and google is my homepage!:)

i second that! :) but that sucks :plain: video game outlaws in greece AHHH! i would hate to live there :p. i'd like to learn japanese and move to japan so i could play their games and understand them :p.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
DuDe said:
And on a different note, China`s government has blocked its people from accessing <a href="http://www.google.com">Google</a>...

Actualy that was chinas firewalls having some sort of problem....they can access google now.

The real problem is sites like yahoo that agree to assist china in censoring content.

StonedConker

Kakarot said:
This should be old news to most of you but recently a law was passed in Greece outlawing gambling. Included in this law was the outlawing of video games! Even though I'm an American this kind of thing still pisses me off! Who the fuck is any government to tell you what to do with your spare time such as playing pc/video games or any other hobby you may have? I can't begin imagining having to buy my games off the street like from some kind of drug dealer! <a href="glossary.php?<r=l">LOL</a>! Is anyone here from Greece? What do you guys think about it?

yeah kakarot this is truth.Sad but truth.I can't find any simple reason to stop a kid from playing an arcade game.This was the nice things for the moppets in the past(now im 24).I mean about the arcade games (coin-op)in the cafe-bars ok?Noone can stop you from put a game disc in your pc.Ofcourse if it is an originall one.But pirates were the "dealers" since the age of atari and amiga 16bit systems(guys with that computers will know what i mean...)Evey disk was cracked by the "..." team.Anyway i think that those decisions are outlandish product .You see we are in Europe eh?;)

f**k the globalization :angry:

StonedConker

Anchel said:
*Shiver* I hope this never happens in Spain *Shiver*

don't worry Anchel...Be sure about it. :happy:This is europe my friend.you wanted globalization ehh?Now beware of the future...;)

LefterisD

Wow, it's been a long time since I posted here, I'd better solve the missunderstanding since I am Greek and I am affected by it(like some other members here).
This whole mess begun because some arcade owners were converting their machines to electronic slot machines with the addition of extra hardware. The goverment tried to stop that illegal form of gambling but they kept popping up. Then they got an idea to make a law that bans gambling games.
What's the problem you say? Well, in Article 1 paragraph 4 of the law it says "Electronic games are those, that depend on both electrical-electronic mechanisms and software.". That includes: electronic gambling machines(the ones they wanted to ban at first place), consoles, handheld games, PC games, windows(if they have minesweeper installed), mobile phones(that have games inside) and whatever you can think of. That's a very wide definition as you can see.
In article 2 it clearly says that games that are defined by paragraphs 2,3 and 4 of article 1 are not allowed to be used in all public and private places!
THAT WAS THE PROBLEM
Just by a badly written law they banned everything! You might ask yourselves, if that is a mistake then the law was never activated, right? Well, no. The law is active 100% since August 1 2002! The CPL qualifications for the Oslo finals have been canceled and might not even be rescheduled plus the fact that one of the TheWeb net cafes was closed because people were playing Counter Strike. If you don't believe me see the pictures right here.

I guess my goverment is the true definition of stupidity, don't worry we are going to fight hard on this matter AND WIN! feel free to express humiliating comments about my stupit goverment, I won't be offended.

The entire law translated in English can be found here.

Yes, I am a criminal. Just don't turn me(or the other members of this forum) to the cops :)