What's new

video card question

petronius79

james.miller said:
no pII-600 will run gta3 flawlessly. period.

as for RTC wolfenstien - no way. quake 3 yes you could run smoothly but not RTCW

thats no Pentium II he's talking about. It is Pentium II Xeon and that thing is more expensive than a Pentium III. I dont know if games can take advantage of that type of processor though. It seems in his case they do.

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
by the looks of his sig its a dual p3-600 xeon. but i dont think many game take advantage of duallies. anyway - im sure even the xeon 600 could run gta3 flawlessly with a gf2 mx 400.

COME ON ITS A GEFORCE 2! lol

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
supergamer said:
I know. Direct X support is up to 32 bit color, and OpenGL with a maximum of 16 bit!

once again you show us your amazing powers of having no idea what you're talking about.

OpenGl can run in 32bit as well :geek:

CasCraven

True... So long as you don't mind between 1 and 6 frames a second trying to run OpenGL on this machine:ermm:.

By the way, anybody know why 1964's OpenGL plugin looks almost perfect compared to other plugins? It even runs the menus on Neon Genesis Evangelion (Jap), the little checkered flag on Mario cart's title screen, etc - which pretty much no other plugin can do, at least that I've seen. I was very suprised by its superior preformance over Jabo's already very nice plugin, at least on a system with an Nvidia card. Any explinations?

supergamer

Banned
Sayargh,

Older video hardware doesn't support 32 bit color openGL. All games does run on 32 bit but you'll see no difference between 16 and 32 bit color. This are the first generation openGL cards (like voodoo 1, Ati rage pro, intel i740...). I know this time where I'm talking about! If you don't belive me, buy an old video card and try.

supergamer said:
Sayargh,

Older video hardware doesn't support 32 bit color openGL. All games does run on 32 bit but you'll see no difference between 16 and 32 bit color. This are the first generation openGL cards (like voodoo 1, Ati rage pro, intel i740...). I know this time where I'm talking about! If you don't belive me, buy an old video card and try.

"MUMMY, MAKE THE BAD MAN GO AWAY "

Last edited:

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
supergamer said:
This are the first generation openGL cards (like voodoo 1

funny, sille me, i thought VooDoo was 3Dfx ( Glide ) not OpenGL ...

BTM said:
funny, sille me, i thought VooDoo was 3Dfx ( Glide ) not OpenGL ...

I was just thinking the same (the rest of the post doesn't make good bedtime reading either, I think you'll find).

After reading through a lot of the recent threads I was also wondering what kind of despicable, inhumain acts the members of this board must have perpetrated against humanity to deserve some of Supergamers replies.

Now I know, not only is it hot down there in hell, with flames licking at my bollocks, but also I have to moderate a messageboard with just Supergamer and lightknight as members, with the power to ban removed by the anti-christ himself (no, I don't mean Justin Timberlake).........for fucking eternity ;)

Last edited:

supergamer

Banned
BTM,

Voodoo is a 3DFX-card, but it does support opengl. The support for openGL makes it a first-generation OGL-card.

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
But wasn't OpenGL used in Voodoo cards AFTER it was used in other cards ?

I'd like to take back what I said above and apologise to Supergamer.

After looking at his profile and discovering he's only 15, I think maybe what I wrote was a bit harsh.

Justin Timberlake can still go and suck satans dick though.

karth95

Lord of the Cats
Most of the support for openGL was added via drivers rather than chipset based. I would say it's more of .5 gen myself, but then, I have a great deal of disgust with 3dfx deciding that Glide was going to be 16 bit, because "Nobody really needs 32bit textures in gaming"

IceCold

Simon says you suck
karth95 said:
Most of the support for openGL was added via drivers rather than chipset based. I would say it's more of .5 gen myself, but then, I have a great deal of disgust with 3dfx deciding that Glide was going to be 16 bit, because "Nobody really needs 32bit textures in gaming"

heh - musta been when they saw 32-bit rendering performance falloffs on the TNT/TNT2 - i suppose they figure they concentrate with framerate when working with the Voodoo3 - but nonetheless, even with the missing features it turned out to be a solid card for its time

getting a bit confused here - was a full ICD ever even implemented into drivers or thirdparty drivers?

petronius79

CasCraven said:

By the way, anybody know why 1964's OpenGL plugin looks almost perfect compared to other plugins? It even runs the menus on Neon Genesis Evangelion (Jap), the little checkered flag on Mario cart's title screen, etc - which pretty much no other plugin can do, at least that I've seen. I was very suprised by its superior preformance over Jabo's already very nice plugin, at least on a system with an Nvidia card. Any explinations?

It runs games like Mario and Banjokazooie quite decently. Too bad it isnt further developed at the moment. Or can I get a version higher than 4.5?

karth95

Lord of the Cats
Yes, I ran one for quite some time, and it really was a wonderful card. glide64 v.253 is really an exceptional plugin, and I sometimes wish I had 2 agp slots so I could use my old v3 3k alongside my gf2 ti 64, just so I could use it. It made n64 emulation with just the v3 3k quite bearable.

As to the full ICD, I honestly don't know. I just took a look, and it looks like there has been several implementations, but since the card doesn't have the performance specs that today's cards have, I seriously doubt you'd be too happy with the results... of course, things have changed in the 6 months that I've had the gf2, I read on some news site somewhere (note the uncertainty here) that the 3rd party drivers for old 3dfx cards are making some insanely great advances.

heh - musta been when they saw 32-bit rendering performance falloffs on the TNT/TNT2 - i suppose they figure they concentrate with framerate when working with the Voodoo3 - but nonetheless, even with the missing features it turned out to be a solid card for its time

OP
Rzeractor

Rzeractor

hey guys, im back, yeah sorry about being an arse with the video card / emulation thing - i didnt realise about the CPU doing more work than the Video card was doing

About GTA 3: with my old video card, GF2 mx400 i had no patches or anything, it ran pretty niceley, although i had to lower the draw distance though.
I have yet to try it with my Ti 4200....

In my opinion i reccon that 3dfx cards were the best, they were overpriced but their performance was quite nice - it ran need for speed 3 and 4 without any slowdown. (well, I was using a PII 266MHz with 128mb of ram

Last edited:

salk

For Karth95...

You don't need two AGP slots (by the way, tests proved that the performance difference between videocards PCI and on AGP slots some time ago was less than 3%...Pump it up Intel) . Just buy a second hand Voodoo 3 PCI and enjoy the great Glide64 plugin (whose version is now 0.30...it's even greater now...:D ). Regards...

Last edited: