What's new

video card question

Rzeractor

I am wondering, even though i have a slowish PC, if I get a Geforce 4 Ti 4200, will i be able to run all n64 roms at about 50-60fps?

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
the case is usually that the video card is the bottleneck for the cpu and vice versa. Getting a new video card won't help much (except for eye candy) unless you have a fast cpu to come with it.

Come on

2bzy4ne1 said:
the case is usually that the video card is the bottleneck for the cpu and vice versa. Getting a new video card won't help much (except for eye candy) unless you have a fast cpu to come with it.

Ya dude dont have a pretty bad PC at all (ok, lets say it aint the latest thing, but...), but i dont know why ya asking that question, just run the emus and see by yerself!!!
Good luck
:devil:

OP
Rzeractor

Rzeractor

hmm, thats odd.
I thought if I get a more powerful video card, I would get better frame rates in games.

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
it might make a very small difference, but n64 emulation is very cpu dependand. upgrading the cpu is the best way.

after the gf2 series there isnt as much difference as you would think

StonedConker

It will make a huge difference on the speed believe me.I was with a pentium 3 at 450 and since 5 hours i've updated everything(motherboard,ram,Cpu1800xp).The only thing i kept from basic hardware is the Voodoo3.Of course the speed is now at full speed but i cannot say that i'm amazed.The surething is that a geforce4 titanium can surely do the work,trust me.;)

OP
Rzeractor

Rzeractor

so for n64 emulation I would need to get a faster CPU, but for non emulation things, a better video card is the option?

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
StonedConker said:
It will make a huge difference on the speed believe me.I was with a pentium 3 at 450 and since 5 hours i've updated everything(motherboard,ram,Cpu1800xp).The only thing i kept from basic hardware is the Voodoo3.Of course the speed is now at full speed but i cannot say that i'm amazed.The surething is that a geforce4 titanium can surely do the work,trust me.;)

well then how do you know what component made a difference? answer is - you dont

Rzeractor - a faster cpu would be the best choice for emulation, yes. as for regular gaming, id sugest upgrading both

OP
Rzeractor

Rzeractor

hmm, I think I will have to try before I buy.
But I went to nVidia and it analysed my computer:
My card was on 100%
GF2 ultra was 142%
GF3 was 228%
GF4 was 292%

well, that site said if I get a GF4, it would run way faster.

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
StonedConker said:
I would say the opposite

no trust me.

my xp1800 is maxed out at 100% constantly in parts of perfect dark. with that in mind, how come turning on 4x aa only results in a maximum of 5-10fsp drop?

its because the graphics card is more than fast enough, but the cpu is underpowered. To solve then problem - a faster cpu is needed in my case also

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
Rzeractor said:
hmm, I think I will have to try before I buy.
But I went to nVidia and it analysed my computer:
My card was on 100%
GF2 ultra was 142%
GF3 was 228%
GF4 was 292%

well, that site said if I get a GF4, it would run way faster.

you will regret it if you get a ti4200 without upgrading your cpu., because your cpu will be an extreame bottleneck

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
the ti4200's are great cards and will serve you well, but you wont be getting anywhere near the level of performance that a gf4 ti4200 coupled with say an xp1600 or a p4 2.4.b

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
ive just realised youve got a gf4 420.

remember that ive got a gf4 440 and its allready more than fast enough.

heres a graph show you how the gf4 ti4200 scale:
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1650&p=3

taken from the site:
The true GeForce4 cards exhibit a remarkably different pattern as they demand higher speed CPUs to unlock their potential. With a slow enough CPU you’d be getting more for your money if you went with a GeForce4 MX than a GeForce4.

your p3 IS one of those slow cpu's

Last edited:
OP
Rzeractor

Rzeractor

I don't expect a HUGE performance increase, I just want most/all games to run smooth(ish) at full or high detail.

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
take another look at what i posted

"....With a slow enough CPU you’d be getting more for your money if you went with a GeForce4 MX than a GeForce4."

you allready have a gf4 420mx. you wont see any increase in performance unless you get a better cpu (and a new motherboard and ram)

it's that simple

OP
Rzeractor

Rzeractor

i have a GF2 mx400, i just realised i put 420...
oops
:(

but, on that graph, look at the difference with high detail
for the first cpu, the Ti is way above the Mx
considering that, I will get quite a bit performance increase if I get a GF4 Ti 4200.
I will eventually overclock/buy a faster CPU though.

Last edited: