What's new

Using USB controllers on N64

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
Is it at all possible to connect a USB gamepad to an N64? My controllers are quite worn. :( If not, is there anything I can do to fix the worn-out joysticks?

OP
HyperHacker

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
Well I dunno how, but I don't see how it'd help. The mechanics just seem to be worn down.

BoggyB

Somewhere (I can't remember where) I came across a page by someone on how they cleaned out their N64 controller. If it's an official one then you can get it open with a Philips screwdriver, and then clean it out. The analogue stick module will be full of powdered plastic, from the mechanism inside wearing away. Watch out, as there's a large spring inside that will try to make the module fly across the room.

As far as repairing it goes, I don't think it's possible. Once you've got it open it should be pretty obvious how it's worn. You could try wrapping tape round the stick and/or bars to make up for what's worn away, or if you know how and are up to it then you could try adding a little epoxy or similar. You're probably best off buying a replacement analogue stick module from eBay tho.