What's new

USF to mp3?

Cheezyphil

megahuge gaming bwner
Is there any way i can convert USF audio files to mp3 audio from an n64 rom? just wondering, dunno if anyone can help me with this. :plain:

Allnatural

Use Winamp's wave writer plugin to convert them to waves, then the app of your choice to convert to mp3.

Toasty

Sony battery
LAME is a good app of your choice. ;) Actually - there are even output plugins for Winamp that encode directly to MP3 if you feel adventurous.

EDIT: Make sure you turn off any DSPs that you have in Winamp before you play/convert the USFs, unless you want the DSP effects as part of your MP3.

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
The wave writer output plugin comes with Winamp. DSP = Digital Signal Processing. DSPs change the way Winamp sounds in a variety of ways, depending on the DSP. Some increase bass, some speed up the sound or alter its pitch, others do other stuff. IIRC Winamp installs with no DSPs enabled by default, so if you're installing Winamp for the first time, don't worry about them.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
It also a god thing to turn any equalizer settings off during conversion, or else the resulting file will get the Equalizer effects in as well.

Iconoclast

Actually - there are even output plugins for Winamp that encode directly to MP3 if you feel adventurous.
Hey, wait! Sorry to revive a somewhat old thread, but could you recommend to me a plugin can that directly log an MP3 file? I've tried looking through Winamp's plugin list...way too many. I am not testing them all when I can just ask instead of looking through hundreds (thousands?) of plugins.

Toasty

Sony battery
I'm away from home right now (and my PC, which has the plugin I used that I now can't remember), but I'll be back tomorrow, so if no one else has responded I can let you know which one I used in about 24 hours. :)

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Hey, wait! Sorry to revive a somewhat old thread, but could you recommend to me a plugin can that directly log an MP3 file? I've tried looking through Winamp's plugin list...way too many. I am not testing them all when I can just ask instead of looking through hundreds (thousands?) of plugins.
LAME Winamp plugin or DiskWriter

Iconoclast

Thanks for the link, but this plugin doesn't come with a help documentation (or I'm blind), and I don't know how to use it to record the MP3s. I did, of course, try guessing. I looked around the interface, and the only thing I could do was try playing a MINIUSF file. I had already pressed Ctrl+P, selected the LAME output plugin, checked the configuration, and gotten past all that. But when I played it in Winamp, and I don't know if that is how you are supposed to record the MP3, I just get an error message: Winamp has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. I've tried changing the configuration to see what could be wrong, but I'm stumped.