What's new

Unable to run bootable disc

machspeed

Dead Guy
this IP.BIN file, is it a file you need to put in the chanka folder? or does chanka read an actual game disk in my cd drive?

Flash

Technomage
hazard said:
Reminds me of when I refused steadfast to install Windows 95, when I loved DOS :unsure:

Win9x is DOS based, you can always say "bootgui=0" and make boot menu.

And XP...
1) even without any useless services it's still eats too much memory.
2) 1.5Gb of disk space and still the same as 2K.
3) New w0rmz - just connect to internet and you'll get pwned. No such stuff in 9x

Doc_Terence

Is there a working solution for getting Chanka
to run on Win2k ?? There is described a lot of measures
in this thread, but i wanna know what exactly you have to to ..

Greetz
Doc_T

rippon

The Windows 2000 issue was killing me, so I installed Windows 2003 Server and 'hax0red' it to run like a workstation, and hot damn, JGR runs nice. Just so you know, Rez appeared to work just fine in Windows 2000, so if you're desperate to play SOMETHING, thats a good option.

Anyway, now I'm gonna boot back into Windows 2000 and wait for the next version of Chankast that supports Windows 2000 better, because its really not worth THIS much trouble :p

Doc_Terence

OK, so it´s better to wait..what kind of tweaking have you done to turn
W2003 server to workstation ? Is it worth it as an alternative to W2k ??

Now i could start Phantasy Star Online with NTSC Bios on W2k,
get into the Menu, then it says that there´s no memory card..

Greetz
Doc_T

Last edited:

kokoko3k

Goras said:
kokoko3k:

Did you use this version of aspi drivers: 4.71.2?
Are you using the games from your CDROM or mounting them? If you are mounting them, what program are you using to mount them?

The version is correct.
I run games right from my cdrom. Note that is important to use isobuster or something like it to FORCE windows to recognise all the session written in the CD (1 - insert the cd game, 2 - hit REFRESH in isobuster, 3- wait for it to display the cd structure, 4 - hit INIT in chankast).

I tried to use Daemon tools to mount some images, but often chankast pop up an "io error" message.

kokoko3k

Win2K3

Doc_Terence said:
OK, so it´s better to wait..what kind of tweaking have you done to turn
W2003 server to workstation ? Is it worth it as an alternative to W2k ??

Now i could start Phantasy Star Online with NTSC Bios on W2k,
get into the Menu, then it says that there´s no memory card..

Greetz
Doc_T

Win2k3 server turned to Workstation = WINXP with a lot of unuseful services.
I tried it in the past and i got the XP logo waiting for the SO to load.
The utility which does the trick is named NTSWITCH, and YES, you can apply it to turn XP in 2k3 Server, 2k in 2000 server and Vice-versa.
That's the way Microsoft get money :) Same SO system, some services more, a different name and a lot of cash to pay more :)

PS: NTSWITCH is not legal

rippon

Really? I never heard of that NTSWITCH program. I made a day out of it, futzin' with all the various settings. Its really not that hard, you just have to start audio services, enable graphics acceleration, install Firefox because IE is locked down (which you could unlock, but I figured Firefox was easier to install). Anyway, I switched it over by hand, and it was actually quite fun and educational about Windows. Here's a website that can help you:

http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/

The only reason I gave up is because I didn't feel like reinstalling Photoshop, Microsoft Visual Studio, MS Office, Maya, all my cellphone drivers, my GBA devkit, etc, etc, etc. I have actual work to do too, ya know? :p If I wasn't using this computer for legit work, I'd still be tinkering with 2k3. But right now its just a risk, and a risk for the purposes of playing games for a system I already own :p But it was AMAZING to see Chankast in action.