What's new

U.S Defeat Wales, 2-0: Ends Wales' 10-Game Unbeaten Streak

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Bah. :p But still, I'm half American. :D

SAN JOSE, Calif. (Monday, May 26, 2003) - The U.S. Men’s National Team used goals from former and current San Jose Earthquakes stars to earn their first ever win at Spartan Stadium, a 2-0 result against Wales tonight in front of 12,282 fans in San Jose. Forward Landon Donovan converted a penalty kick in the 41st minute to give the U.S. a 1-0 halftime lead, while Chevrolet Man of the Match Eddie Lewis skipped a low shot under Wales goalkeeper Darren Ward in the 59th minute for the final margin.

“I thought our team played well,” said U.S. Manager Bruce Arena. “It was a good experience for our young players. It was good for me to look at these players in this type of situation. I benefited from the game, and the players did as well. Overall, I was pleased with the performance.”

The U.S owned the majority of possession in the first half, with the team attacking well down the flanks with Lewis on the left and D.C. midfielder Earnie Stewart patrolling the right side of the field.

The U.S. had an early chance off a quick counter, as Lewis made a trademark run down the left flank and sent in an early cross that skipped across the Welsh goalmouth, but the Wales defense had the far post covered and sent it out for a corner kick.

The U.S. had another golden opportunity to score in the 21st minute when Landon Donovan lofted a pass to Bobby Convey, who had streaked past the Welsh defense through the center of the penalty area, but the pass was a bit too tall and Convey was unable to put a head to it.

The USA finally got on the board in the 41st minute after Jovan Kirovski was brought down in the box by defender Matthew Jones, resulting in a penalty kick. Donovan stepped up to the spot and drilled a shot into the upper right corner of the goal as goalkeeper Paul Jones dove low to his right.

In the 47th minute, Matthew Jones received a second caution and subsequent ejection for an illegal handball as Lewis tried to loop a ball around him on the dribble. It marked only the 10th time in the history of the Welsh Men’s National team that a player received a red card.

The U.S. made it 2-0 in the 59th minute after Greg Vanney’s individual effort beating a pair of Welsh defenders down the left flank freed Lewis inside the box for his low shot that went under the arms of Welsh goalkeeper Darren Ward, who came on at halftime for starter Paul Jones.

San Jose Earthquakes forward Brian Ching came on in the 75th minute to make his U.S. Men’s National team debut and almost scored on his first touch, but he volleyed a perfect Earnie Stewart cross just wide of the right post.

“I think my partnership with Landon can only help me to get back to the national team,” said Ching. “Bruce told me if I keep playing well, there’s a good chance for me to get called back in the near future.”

Two other players earned their first MNT cap, as Ryan Suarez started in central defense and played 77 minutes, while 2003 MLS SuperDraft #1 pick Alecko Eskandarian made his debut by coming on in the 89th minute for Jovan Kirovski. Goalkeeper Nick Rimando, in his first start for the U.S. MNT, posted a shutout and was forced to make just one save.

“It felt good to finally get a full game. To go the full 90 minutes is just what I’ve always wanted,” said Rimando, who was making just his third appearance for the U.S. “The U.S. is known for its goalkeepers. We have the best in the world. And when you have guys like Brad Friedel, Tim Howard and Kasey Keller in front of you, you just have to wait your turn.”

Plisco

Sevillian
Wales have been great under Hughes. Just hope it continues despite this loss, but it had to happen sometime ;)

Last edited:

Davemc

Dave
You lost to the USA? They can't even get the name of the sport right. Sorry....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Oh, wait, we lost to Australia not too long ago. And they have the same disease as the yanks as well.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
We don't realy care about that here :p

In fact I barely even know we have a soccer team. You can't even beat us at our lamest sports :happy:

Talas

Son of the Sky
I didnt know that Basketball was one of Americas lamest Sports. And guess who is World Champion right now? :happy: Yup, Serbia not America. :baaa:

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
AlphaWolf said:

In fact I barely even know we have a soccer team. You can't even beat us at our lamest sports :happy:

Don't make me dig up the England VS America rugby results :p

AlphaWolf said:

you beat wales, not england... BIG difference

/me chants roooon(aldo)ey :holiday:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
sytaylor said:
you beat wales, not england... BIG difference

* sytaylor chants roooon(aldo)ey :holiday:

Well, since I am american, I am allowed to think that the UK includes all of the states on that little bunny shaped island as one big country, so buzz off :p

Davemc

Dave
England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales are countries, not states. Hence we have our own International teams. All of which are useless apart from the mighty England.
And yeah, it is sad that America won. I'd kill myself if we lost to the yanks at footy.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Talas said:
I didnt know that Basketball was one of Americas lamest Sports. And guess who is World Champion right now? :happy: Yup, Serbia not America. :baaa:

Yugoslavia is the world champion. Serbia is in fact one of the worst basketball teams in Europe.

AlphaWolf said:
Well, since I am american, I am allowed to think that the UK includes all of the states on that little bunny shaped island as one big country, so buzz off :p

The uk includes all the countries, but there arent any states...

Plus, england owns them all anyways :saint:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
sytaylor said:
The uk includes all the countries, but there arent any states...

Plus, england owns them all anyways :saint:

Yeah, I know england owns them all, thats why they aren't countries, they are states :p

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
dayve said:
I'd kill myself if we lost to the yanks at footy.

Why? They really aren't a bad team. A hell of a lot better than Australia. Their FIFA ranking is only 3 behind England.

For the record, I have to point out that the Wales team that we put out against USA was a severley handicapped side, most of the players were from Division 3 teams. The only star player there was Simon Davies (*bows down*).

But anyway, roll on Portugal 2004! Cymru am byth! :D