What's new

Two questions about Gauntlet Legends

Strider4102

I read the thread linked to in the PJgameFAQ, and the tread mentioned two things, but never went into any sort of detail about them. I can get in and out of levels just fine using the save-plugin swap-load-wait-save-plugin swap-load trick, but the thread said it was possible(and had screenshots to prove it!) to
1)make the level stop changing color every time something gets hit(e.g. would flicker red if you drew blood with your shot, yellow if you hit a wall, and your player's color otherwise). The thread said to just "Change Blending Modes...", but left out other details, like which version of Jabo's plugin is he using (Dx71.4, Dx61.4, Dx61.3), what core settings (such as recomplier, expansion pak, 4kb linking, etc.), and even the video card's settings in the control panel.
2)They also said to listen for the sound to know when to save. I've tried all the sound plugins I could find and could not get sound to work in this game. Any details on what sound plugin to use, its settings, and core settings to go with it would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps, here is my system specs:
Hardware
-Athlon 1.4GHz
-256MB RAM
-GeForce 2 MX 200
-VIA Audio (Part of the motherboard)
Emulator
-1964/PJ64 (1964 seems to run Gauntlet a little better for me)
-Jabo's Dx71.4 video plugin
--Display:
--D3D T&L HAL
--640x480x32
--Triple Buffer
--FSAA
--Anisotropic Filtering
--Emulation:
--RSP(Autodetected)
--External transorms
--16 & 32 bpp textures
--Fog
--D-List culling
--Advanced:
--No framebuffer
-Azimer's v.30 r2.2 audio plugin
--Default buffer size
--.21 style audio
-N-Rages input
(Too much to list here)
-Core settings (1964 v0.80 prerelease 2)
--Expansion pak on
--All save types
--TLB on
--No EEPROM
--CF=2
--Autodetect VI limit
--Dyna-Compiler on
--DMA in segments on
--Self modifying code set to protect memory
--32 bit is off
--Register caching is on
--FPU hack is on
--Link 4kb blocks is off
--Adv. Analysis is on
-Core Settings (pj64 1.4)
--CPU is Recompiler
--Self Mofifying code is protect memory
--Memory size is 8MB
--Adv.Block linking is on
--Save type is 1st use
--Counter factor is 2
--Large compile buffer is on
--TLB is on
--Register caching is on

Hope this helps anyone who wants to help me(and probably many others in the process)

Duncan

N64 Addict
Hmmm...thats one long post. First off Gauntlet Legends isnt fully supported in 1964, as it takes a "save state" trick to play it (has a hanging problem), but you'll notice alot of errors in res, gfx, and etc. Until we can get it to run normal (without the save state trick) its kinda hard to correct other issues.

Secondly the current gfx plugins dont support it 100% either, so any of your mentioned "work arounds" are just that, but i can say personally that i havent encountered any of the problems you mention, and by looking at your settings i can see quite a few things that are either set wrong and could be causing some of your mentioned problems.

As for the method of getting it playable:

[Gauntlet Legends (U) [!] playable]
Heres how to play Gauntlet Legends (U) [!]:

Start the game in 1964 as usual and go to the point where it hangs/freezes (over the first circle) and make a state save (F5) just as you begin to transport (spin) when the light come out, and close the game,
Now start up 1964 but this time use Zilmar's CFB plugin,
Start the game and load the save state you just made, you'll hear a low voice talking, now make another save (F5),
Start your Gauntlet Legends (U) [!] game as normal (with Jabos Direct3D plugin), load in the save state, and play away.

OP
S

Strider4102

Thank you for your effort, Duncan. Your post reveals that you (or the person who told you about the savestate trick) do have sound working. If you could post the working audio plugin and it's configuration, I would be most appreciative, as that would solve one of the two problems. Thanks in advance.

Duncan

N64 Addict
I cant say too much at the present time, but just wait for the next release, alot has been fixed and new, have faith my son :)

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Hey, he just wants to know how to get sound working, not how to fix everything else. Geez. try reading the whole post next time.

Duncan

N64 Addict
I did read the whole post, but the way i have sound working can ONLY be done with the new version, and after tomorrows release, you'll see why.

sirss

gauntlet legends

gauntlet legends a great game one of the few 4 player games would be great to see this game fixed perfect someday , best hack,n slash game every make i think iv seen about 50 goblems on the screen at once before or 30 atleast . this is the only version of gauntlet that lets you sell stuff to the store other versions on psx1, dc, psx2, ngc , xbox let u buy stuff but not sell .???

Duncan

N64 Addict
You and me both, lol. Its one of a few games thats a challenge to get running correctly. The transition from top to bottom level is the hang point, but in-game is great but needs resolution fix. I still remember the old days of Gauntlet, even back then it was a killer hard game, but a good one :)