What's new

Two possible causes of "failed to allocate memory"

struct

Three possible causes of "failed to allocate memory"

I've had the infamous "failed to allocate memory" error spontaneously occur after PJ64 ran fine for a while. I can think of three things that I did that may have induced the error:

1) I changed my display drivers (my video card's an NVidia GeForce2 MX400 based card) from Windoze's drivers to NVidia's lastest drivers. I doubt this is the cause, but it's possible. I'll try reverting back to the old drivers to see if this fixes the problem.

2) I applied the DirectX patch to update from version 9.0b to 9.0c. I'd bet dollars to donuts that that induced the problem.

3) I've refused to install SP2 up to this point, but I have installed all of the other "optional" patches/updates/security fixes that are available. One of those might have created an error condition too.

So, does this clue anyone in to a possible fix?

Last edited:

minkster

I have only gotten that error in PJ64 1.4....are you sure you have the latest version 1.5 with the sp1 update?

OP
S

struct

minkster said:
I have only gotten that error in PJ64 1.4....are you sure you have the latest version 1.5 with the sp1 update?

Yes, positive. From what I've read on this board, I'm not the only one who's had this error with 1.5 SP1 either.

Clements

This bug just seems to happen from time to time and it's next to impossible to get rid of. I had it and the compatibility mode stopped it. Then I formated and didn't even get the problem. Very hard to pinpoint this bug as a result.

OP
S

struct

Clements said:
This bug just seems to happen from time to time and it's next to impossible to get rid of. I had it and the compatibility mode stopped it. Then I formated and didn't even get the problem. Very hard to pinpoint this bug as a result.

Yeah, the emu ran for me in Win98/ME compatibility mode, but it ran oh-so-slow and the sound kept stuttering. I tried reverting back to Microsoft's distrib of my video card drivers, but that didn't solve the problem, so I'm almost positive that installing the DirectX 9.0c patch is the root cause.

Clements

I also think that DirectX 9.0c could be involved, as since SP2 was released the number of users reporting the bug has indeed gone up. It works fine for me now, I did a clean install of Windows and installed SP2 straight after with a Microsoft disk. Slipstreamed disks will probably work too in avoiding the problem.

You could uninstall SP2 and reinstall, or format if this is a viable option. I strongly recommend you get a free SP2 installation disk from Microsoft to avoid possible corruption when downloading if you haven't ordered one.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
My old computer always had the error and still does, even now that it has 768MB physical memory and an 80GB HDD.

My laptop, OTOH, with 512MB RAM and a 50GB HDD does not have the issue.

So much for memory...

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
minkster said:

Actually, with Project64 1.4, you have gotten the error message, "Error Not enough memory for rom." which is NOT the same as "FAILED TO ALLOCATE MEMORY" with Project64 1.5 final. The two error messages I mentioned have different meanings.

"Error Not enough memory for rom." means that there wasn't enough memory space for a certain ROM to load, thus you can still use Project64, but can't play all of your games.

"FAILED TO ALLOCATE MEMORY" is completely fatal. It means that Project64 wasn't able to find enough memory space for itself. When you get the message, "FAILED TO ALLOCATE MEMORY", you can't use Project64 at all.

When you get the message, "Error Not enough memory for rom.", it's still possible to run another Nintendo 64 ROM instead with Project64.

The error message, "FAILED TO ALLOCATE MEMORY" seems to be introduced with Project64 1.5 final.

Project64 1.4 has a different bug, which was related to running Nintendo 64 ROMs bigger than 32 MB with some PCs.

Last edited:

C26000_28_40

My Case

I had the problem of the canot allocate memory ,,,,and I solved it ,,, so i want to explain my case... today 22 nov 2004 ,,,,my project 64 stop working i reinstall it , and it dont works, so i run the system restauration from winxp and i made a restauration point to 4 days ago ,, and now it's working... i think it was some of the winxp updates from these days because i haven installed new software nor drivers....

Skippy

What i did when this happen to me was. I went to my Windows Update and look for a certain file that this boy Bill told me about and i took it off. And waited like two days and it work.

Ppk01

Try installing WinXP SP2 and running Windows Update a second time afterwards. My copy seems to be working fine now...

jf1288

C26000_28_40 said:
I had the problem of the canot allocate memory ,,,,and I solved it ,,, so i want to explain my case... today 22 nov 2004 ,,,,my project 64 stop working i reinstall it , and it dont works, so i run the system restauration from winxp and i made a restauration point to 4 days ago ,, and now it's working... i think it was some of the winxp updates from these days because i haven installed new software nor drivers....

I realized that i applied some new patches earlier and then started having problems. I looked up which i applied:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB889293)
Update for Windows XP HighMAT Support in CD Writing Wizard (KB831240)
Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1

Im not sure which may have caused the problems. Any ideas?

Underscore

Avoider of payment
I found that running the uninstall .reg file that comes with Project 64 (but not actually deleting PJ64) can help this problem sometimes. Install the .reg file, start up PJ64, all the options will be reset to default, so set only the options you need to (change graphics plugin, etc.) then launch the ROM. Worked for me.

Tooty

press ctrl+alt+del to see if rundll32.exe is running in the background and kill it, it is
a efficient and instant solution among my peers here in china, despite this, no one reported any other possible solution for "failed to allocate memory" yet

Newblewaffer

I'm new :)
Jazzi,

Thank you I think what you are saying is identical to my very problem...

But seeing as how I am a computer illiterate dunce, I don't exactly know how to remove "KB841356". I rember installing this, but I don't know how to uninstall it.

Thanks. :)

Jazzi

Firstly may I say that the reason that I did all this uninstalling of windows updates, is because if it was an update that was causing the problem I wanted to be able to tell everyone so the PJ64 would be made compatible with this windows update so that I could have both.

So to begin with a security warning:

Firstly, make sure that your firewall and virus checker is working, uninstalling windows updates is not recommended but on the other hand this one gets in the way of my playing Zelda so off it goes.

Secondly, go into the control panel and double click Add or Remove Programs.

Thirdly find windows 'XP hotfix KB841356', click on it and then click remove. At least it is a window XP hotfix on my machine since I use XP, it may be named differently on yours but I believe that it will be the same numbers as they usually release related security updates for all systems around the same time for the same purpose but unfortunately beyond this I don't know.

After rebooting, try PJ64 and if it does not work cry, if it does work please come back here and say so.

Methinks that PJ64 and this windows update could surely get along in some way and I want either Microsoft (like yeah) or PJ64 to seal the gap so that we can all go to windows update and put it back on like good security conscious boys and girls and still play what is an excellent emulator.

Nick

Last edited: