What's new

troubles Getting 1964 to start

CKDexterHave

When 1964 version .9.9 came out i got it and i remember it worked fine the first time. After that whenever i tried to start it i get the little hourglass cursor for a few seconds then nothing. No error msg no windows come up what so ever. I've tried re-installing, wiping registry of all related keys, but still can't get it to start anymore. I can't think of anything that changed that could have affected it so. any ideas?

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I would do a fresh reinstall of Windows 98 SE, thus reformatting the primary master HDD first before reinstalling Windows 98 SE. After Windows 98 SE has been reinstalled, INSTALL THE CHIPSET DRIVERS BEFORE ANY OTHER DRIVER!

It looks like your Windows installation got corrupted.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Well, Rice, it varies. However, if you do have a nForce chipset, you will find that
Windows XP is more stable and Windows 2000 probably will work fine too and
may find that you cannot get the video driver to initialize with Windows 98 SE and Windows 98 SE will lock up with a black screen if you have a nForce chipset motherboard. Rice, you're probabably finding Windows XP more stable than Windows 9x, because you probably have a nForce2 chipset motherboard.

Nvidia has bad Windows 98 SE chipset support.

BTW, there are some 3D games that don't work properly at all with Windows XP and Windows 2000, no matter what compatibility setting I selected.

AFAIK, Via seems to still have good Windows 98 SE chipset support, at least if
you have a Via KT400 or earlier motherboard chipset. I'm not sure about the Via KT600 and Athlon64 Via K8T800 chipset.

Last edited:

jollyrancher

I would do a fresh reinstall of Windows 98 SE, thus reformatting the primary master HDD first before reinstalling Windows 98 SE.

Dude, I hope you're being sarcastic or something... I mean one emulator isn't loading up right and you think he should format his HD? It's possible that he thought he once loaded 1964 .99, but it was really .85 and since .99 doesn't work on some AMD K6 computers that's the problem. Or maybe something became corrupted and he should re-download it from the 1964 site.

rcgamer

the old guy
personally i would do a disk defrag and scan disk, then get a good registry utility (ace utilities does the trick for me and it is very safe). this happened to me with invision but after i redled it it worked.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
jollyrancher said:
Dude, I hope you're being sarcastic or something... I mean one emulator isn't loading up right and you think he should format his HD? It's possible that he thought he once loaded 1964 .99, but it was really .85 and since .99 doesn't work on some AMD K6 computers that's the problem. Or maybe something became corrupted and he should re-download it from the 1964 site.
Usually, with Windows 98 SE, if DirectX is corrupted, you're required to reinstall Windows.

jollyrancher

Well first of all, I doubt his DirectX is corrupted because his post would be more like "My computer is fucked up! No games work anymore!!!" Anyway, you can check any DX problems by running DxDiag. In the extremely rare case that DX files got corrupted, you can run DXBuster and then reinstall DX. I still think he should re-download 1964 or try an older version and see if it works.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
jollyrancher said:
Well first of all, I doubt his DirectX is corrupted because his post would be more like "My computer is fucked up! No games work anymore!!!" Anyway, you can check any DX problems by running DxDiag. In the extremely rare case that DX files got corrupted, you can run DXBuster and then reinstall DX. I still think he should re-download 1964 or try an older version and see if it works.
I was thinking that maybe the registry got corrupted entries that would thus require a Windows reinstall.

Trotterwatch

I think advising a reinstall of Windows at the first sign of a problem is very bad advice - course it'll work, but it's also a hassle many would like to do without. That sort of advice at the first stage is best left to the Compaq support desks of this world (with no offence intended to any Compaq support desk personal who may be reading this :p)

I would have thought a scandisk, a regfix and a reinstallation of all DX and graphics card drivers would have been the first priority.

Also testing some other emulator such as PJ64 to see if that had problems would also be sound advice.

OP
C

CKDexterHave

Well thanks for the advice but I'm not gonna reinstall especially since I have no other problems and really hate doing that. I have run Norton utilities several times since the problem happened with no real change. I don't have the money or inclination for XP either but it does make me wonder that everyone who responded uses Xp. Maybe 1964 dont like win98 registry..it wont be the first emulator related probelms as such.

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
you have a XP2000+ and Win 98? i don't believe.........
i can run XP in a Athlon 900MHz at same speed as win98 in the same system.....
the first one is from my friend and the second one is from another friend
(Pcchips M810LMR mobo for these two)
win98 crashes every week (blue screen of death)
winxp is stable since 7 months ago.........

i used win2000 for a year without crashes....... now i'm using WinXP for two years without need to recover/reinstall...........

if you don't like XP you can use win2000.......
you can buy a used win2000 license....

forgot these old win98 days....
or install linux (gentoo, suse, debian, redhat, i don't know).......

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
RJARRRPCGP said:
Well, Rice, it varies. However, if you do have a nForce chipset, you will find that
Windows XP is more stable and Windows 2000 probably will work fine too and
may find that you cannot get the video driver to initialize with Windows 98 SE and Windows 98 SE will lock up with a black screen if you have a nForce chipset motherboard. Rice, you're probabably finding Windows XP more stable than Windows 9x, because you probably have a nForce2 chipset motherboard.

Nvidia has bad Windows 98 SE chipset support.

BTW, there are some 3D games that don't work properly at all with Windows XP and Windows 2000, no matter what compatibility setting I selected.

AFAIK, Via seems to still have good Windows 98 SE chipset support, at least if
you have a Via KT400 or earlier motherboard chipset. I'm not sure about the Via KT600 and Athlon64 Via K8T800 chipset.

XP is ALWAYS more stable than Win98
including in my Intel chipset, or my friends Via KT333 (soyo dragon plus), or my father's nVidia nforce2, my friends Via idon'trememberchipset (Soyo 7VBA133U), my friends VIA KT400 (Asus A7V8X-X), and others that I have personally instaled the XP......

all 3D games runs very well with XP........... ALL GAMES....... including really old Need for Speed High Stakes/Road Challenge, GTA2, Driver, Spiderman.......
For StarWars Racer is game issue with Geforces/Radeons (i can run in a XP system with RivaTNT2, but i can't run on my computer)

The Sims series have problems only in Win2000 (you need admin privileges)

XP is better than 98....... only linux is better than these two......

EDIT: I forgot a PentiumII with a I440DLX chipset..... runs Win98 very well.... only one blue screen per month.......

OP
C

CKDexterHave

As fun as arguing over OS's is I managed to fix the problem without any of these drastic measures. I noticed the msvc dll files and thought if i erased them so it used my default ones it'd work but no change. Oddly enough removing the Kaillera dll fixed it completely. Don't know how and don't particularly care at this point as long as it works.

dnrobs

to be honest rjarrr ive read youre posts lately and you keep suggesting reformatting hd this simply isnt viable what with the size of harddrives today i got 80 gigabites stored over 5 years work and to be honest itd be easier to buy a new drive, as for xp/98 stick with 98 xp uses far to much resources and many software pre 2000 wont run at all

Trotterwatch

Oddly enough removing the Kaillera dll fixed it completely. Don't know how and don't particularly care at this point as long as it works.

Wierd, this reminds of me of an issue I had with Gens recently. It wouldn't load roms from the Open rom menu (only from the history menu). That went away too with replacement of that exact file... fecking wierd :)

Glad you got it fixed anyway without resorting to drastic measures.

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
problably HardDisk bad blocks... exactly at file..... or a virus or other app that change the .dll file, or that fuck dialers.......

winxp is better in this point... all files in system32 are monitored... if this file fail, winxp recover the last good dll...... i install all dll files in system32 (except the apps exclusive dlls), including kaillera (other emus use them), msvc shared libraries, etc.....

reinstall a system is easy... including in 80Gigs HDs, 320gigs HDs.....
make two partitions......one for system/apps/games and another for mp3, isos, roms, documents.... and resize if you need with Partition Magic or Acronis Partition Expert.....

if you need to reinstall the system, format the primary partition and reinstall your system/apps (this will take 2~3 hours, but is easy)......