What's new

Totally Clueless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glass

Hi im new to the forum and im wondering how emulators and roms actually work.

I know i cant ask for roms or how to make them so im not. If this comes off like i am then dont answer or delete it this isnt the purpose of the question.

What i want to know is how do roms get from the cartridge to the computer?
Since making roms is illegal if you dont own the cartridge and reverse engineering the cartridges to get the data is also (probably im not 100%) illegal too how can this huge emulation ring that exists online exist at all?
From everything i've seen its illegal to make roms, and you get banned from most places for asking, what on earth do emulator users do? Make emulators for the sake of it?

Im a newbie to the whole process but have some degree of computer understanding (higher than the average user i would like to think)

Can anyone tell me anything about all this?

Thanks in advance if you can.

P.S. Sorry about my grammar

Last edited:

mesman00

What's that...?
Glass said:

What i want to know is how do roms get from the cartridge to the computer?

not 100% sure about this process exactly, but there are devices that can be connected to your computer. With these devices the rom is ripped. It's along these lines, i know someone can explain much better.

Glass said:

Since making roms is illegal if you dont own the cartridge and reverse engineering the cartridges to get the data is also (probably im not 100%) illegal too how can this huge emulation ring that exists online exist at all?

like you said, possessing roms are illegal, even if you DO own the cartridge. However, emulation is not illegal. Therefore, as long as sites provide emulators and related tools, and not rooms, they are perfectly legal.

Glass said:

what on earth do emulator users do? Make emulators for the sake of it?

yes and no. most emulator authors program emulators to see how far the can push themselves and to see what they can achieve. most authors aren't in the emu scene to play games illegally. Instead, they are here to learn and apply their knowledge. There are alot of users in the emu scene who are the same way. Personally i don't have a single emulator or rom; however, i like to follow the progress of emulators, and i try to pick up a few tid-bits of info about each system. However, there are emu users in the scene who are here just to play games illegally on their computer and nothing else.

hope i have helped a little bit. i hope someone feels free to fill in on what i missed

I can tell you more about ripping cartdriges because I've got a Gameboy-ripper. It's very easy: first you'll need a cartdrige-ripper, next you'll need the right software, and put a cart into the ripper and the process can begin. You can create carts with this ripper too. Known problems with Pokemon silver/gold/crystal: there isn't a clock inside of the cart, so the clock hangs :( .

A pc it totally different from your GB, so the time and days totally screws up if you set it and for a copied cart, the clock always hangs on one point, because there isn't a clock inside of the cart.

Hint for copied carts: Set the clock at a few minutes before or after 6, now you can switch between it with summer- and winter-time, and catch in the day-, and the evening-time. Of course you can do that between evening- and night-time, or night- an day-time if you wish.

Allnatural

Meh, I don't like where this topic is going, and the original question has been answered.

/closed

Status
Not open for further replies.