What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Torrents for texture packs

mattst88

I've made torrents for KMan's, and Djipi's OOT/MM texture packs. Info here: http://mattst88.com/?page=torrents

What other texture packs would you like me to make torrents for?

Also, I need a link to Federelli's texture pack, since the download link is already broken. Anyone who has it, please pm me.

Happy torrenting :)

Matt

OP
M

mattst88

It seems you are correct.

I have sent private messages to the two maintainers for the packs in question.

The no redistribution clause is strange though. It would prevent me from copying the pack to my flash drive and then onto my friend's computer. Nonetheless, this is no excuse for my not seeing this clause. (readme.txt and license.txt should be separate files though.)

OP
M

mattst88

KMan's texture pack removed. If you were downloading this torrent, get it from File Planet instead.

OP
M

mattst88

What texture packs should I make torrents for? Show me the threads :)

Obviously this time I'll make sure it's OK with the authors first.

OP
M

mattst88

Can you find a working link to Federelli's texture pack? No?

A torrent would cure problems such as this.

If you don't care about torrents, please don't post. Thanks :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Can you find a working link to Federelli's texture pack? No?

A torrent would cure problems such as this.

If you don't care about torrents, please don't post. Thanks :)

Perhaps it would. Perhaps not. A torrent requires lots of people who are active in seeding it. And even so, it might not get good speed. Torrents are ideal for times when something is so popular it requires lots of bandwidth. I've seen many torrents with poor speed/no seeds. Torrents isn't just a magical solution to this.
If a working link can't be found, then it means that the texture pack hasn't been uploaded to a good mirror or service.

I believe torrents are just a big problem. But that's my belief. You may go ahead and do whatever you wish. That's not my concern. I've spoken my voice and what's to do now is up to you. I won't hinder you anymore. Good luck.

Toasty

Sony battery
Yeah, there's nothing more annoying than downloading from a torrent with few or no seeders. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I don't think BitTorrent is really practical for most texture packs, unless they are newly released. Back when Djipi released his final Cel-style texture pack for Zelda I hosted a torrent of it. After the first three or four days (which were very active) new downloaders became practically nonexistent.

Like Doom said, torrents are great when there is high demand, but if that demand is satisfied, they lose their effectiveness. For packs that have been out long enough to only have sparse downloads, HTTP/FTP servers and P2P networks are probably the best distribution method. On that note, some hash links (like magnet links, ed2k links, etc.) to various texture packs might be neat, since they would help users locate and verify packs they download from P2P networks. (Hash links are also much easier to maintain than a torrent server.) Anyway, just my two cents worth, do what you will. :)

OP
M

mattst88

In all honesty, you guys are right.

I really just want to be able to keep abandoned texture packs available for download, but it appears that when they die, they do so in a way that no one can provide a download link or a copy.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Then I suggest that the best way is to get somewhere to store those files, a mirror. Then upload them there. Torrents are only so useful, as someday, they too, will have no seeds and it can take days to complete, or never complete even. Torrents aren't the most reliable.