What's new

To Olger901

Eagle

aka Alshain
Olger, I just took your quiz, some kind of dont operate much on facts. I guessed a couple of them.

For example the first one... Which benchmark? Benchmarks arent very reliable due to the fact that they do not always consistent. Benchmark data can be tainted based on the software performing it and the person doing it. I could easily find a benchmark that said the Geforce 4200 would come out better.

Also the VRAM question... that all depends on the game, a lot of them require 32megs now.

The last one is a fact, but its not video card related its D3D/GTA3 related. I only knew this becuase I had to do it myself. Your downloading a patch to fix GTA3 so it works with the current version of Direct 3D. There is a problem with the D3D that comes with XP and the only way to fix it is to download the version that users of Pre-XP OS's use. I dont see what this has to do with Video cards other than the fact that it messes up the video display if the patch isnt installed.

All the others seem to be ok.

Olger901

Banned
GTA 3; Yes it's a D3D related problem. And with what does D3D have to do. VIDEOCARDS!

2nd I checked this today on a stats site and 94% of the games require a minimum of 16 Meg of VRAM

Olger901

Banned
forgot the first one.

I took this from a test I took on pc's in the neighbourhood and the Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64 Meg came as the best. I tested about 500 pc's during 3 months (since I help with keeping a linux and Windows network at school) and I work at a computer shop and they all have brand new videocards.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
1. Who says your stats site is accurate
2. D3D is a software, by microsoft what does GTA3 have to do with D3D that any other game doesnt.
3. A few tests in your neighborhood is hardly extensive research. benchmarking needs to be done where all other variables are controlled. If one PC has an Athlon XP 1.6Ghz and the other has the Intel Equivilent, you data has been contaminated. Same for any other hardware including memory (brand and speed), hard drive (brand and speed) etc. To effectively benchmark, you have to have one computer and plug all video cards being tested into it. Even the slightest difference such as heat can make a huge difference. If you cold boot and run the test right away, you may get different results than if you had been running your computer for a while. The people that do these benchmarks (accurately) have loads of money or are with popular magazines that are given free hardware to test it on, and they spend lots of time doing it over and over again.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Olger is right about the ti4200 series. I think that the 128mb version either runs at lower clock frequency, or has a slower memory than the 64mb`s one.